Research Guides - LSC-CyFair
Where Do I Start Looking for Information? Try Research Coach.
Find Additional Research Help
- Apps & Tools for Student Success
- Dewey Decimal System
- Evaluating Information Checklist
- Go Behind the News - Books & More about Stories in the News
- Note Taking and Research: Why, How, and What? (PDF)
- Scholarly Journals vs. Popular Magazines
- Summarize, Paraphrase, and Quote: When and How? (PDF)
- What's Right, Wrong, and It Depends - Integrity & Ethics in the Classroom and Workplace Discussion
- Writing in Literature from Purdue University Online Writing Lab-OWL
Citing SourcesComparison Chart
- APA Citation - In-Text & References Interactive Practice
- APA In-Text & References Color-Coded Help Guide (PDF)
- APA Style Guide – 6th ed. (PDF)
- MLA Citation - Parenthetical & Works Cited Interactive Practice
- MLA Parenthetical & Works Cited Color-Coded Help Guide (PDF)
- MLA Style Guide – 7th ed. (PDF)
- Advocate Academic Integrity with Your Syllabus and Assignments (PDF)
- Films on Demand - Faculty Guide (PDF) revised fall 2015
Questions? - Call, Text, Email, or Chat!
First Floor Reference: 281.290.3214
Second Floor Reference: 281.290.3219
Children's Reference: 281.290.3211
Real-Time Chat Online:
Use Subject Search Guides
Research Tips - LSC-CyFairTip #29: Need to Find Basic Information on a Topic for a College Research Paper?
Which option would you choose?
A. Newspaper article
B. Magazine article
D. Web Page
In many cases, "C" would be a terrific answer! Most newspaper and magazine articles cover recent information on a topic that may be very specific to an event. Web pages may provide basic information, but may not provide sufficient detail or authority for a college research paper. So search for a book that provides an introduction to your topic and may even have “introduction” or “basic” in the title. No need to read the entire book for your assignment! Check the index and table of contents for the specific information you need.
Submit Your Entry for the
Student Research Awards!
Win up to $500!