Donations and Volunteering
Looking for ways to help out after Hurricane Harvey? We've gathered together resources and locations where you can donate and volunteer.
A message from Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., LSC Chancellor
The last several days have taken a heavy toll on our Lone Star College community as well as our neighbors throughout the state. Many of you sustained serious loss to your homes and property. I also know that many of you are out helping others. More than ever, our community’s resilience and strength are on display for the world to see; the care and concern we’ve shown for each other is amazing.
Please know that we, too, are here for you.
The Student Success/Enrollment Management and Business Office teams at all locations will be available to assist you and answer questions once LSC reopens on Tuesday, September 5. Please note the LSC-Kingwood is closed due to extensive damage. LSC-Kingwood students will be receiving additional information from the college. LSC-Kingwood and LSC-Atascocita classes start the week of September 25.
Meanwhile, I would like to take this opportunity to share the following information that might be helpful as you make decisions and move forward with the fall semester.
We know that many of you have complicated schedules. We are looking at alternative class options including 6, 8, 12, and 14 week courses, hybrid and online classes to accommodate your needs. We want you to stay enrolled and encourage you to talk with us about how we can assist you.
Financial Aid Assistance is still available.
There is still time to apply for Financial Aid assistance at Lone Star College for the fall semester! If you have not already done so, apply for financial aid online at www.fafsa.gov
If you have already applied for financial aid assistance but have not received your financial aid award through your student portal, please review your TO DO list on your portal to make sure you have submitted all of your required documents. Call the Financial Aid office at 281-290-2700 or visit your campus financial aid office for further assistance. Click here to apply for scholarships.
Need books for your classes? If you have been awarded financial aid assistance and are expecting a refund, you may submit an application to receive book advance funding to purchase your books in the Bookstore. The deadline for submitting the book advance application is on September 8, 2017 at 5 p.m. Click here for more information.
If you are considering dropping your classes for the fall term, please call the Financial Aid office at 281-290-2700 or visit your campus financial aid office to receive important information.
Emergency Assistance Refunds
Thanks to very generous donors and the Lone Star College Foundation, we will have Emergency Assistance Funds available for qualifying students. Click Here to learn more about this fund and the application process. The application review process will begin Tuesday and continue as applications are received.
We adjusted our calendar to allow 100% refunds for everyone who drops a course before classes begin on Tuesday, September 5. (If you find that you dropped a course before September 5 and only received a partial refund, we are working to correct this.) The Business Office can assist you with this issue. After that date, students have the first 23 calendar days of the semester to drop a course with a 70% refund. We will publish a complete schedule of important dates and deadlines adjusted for the late start of the semester as soon as possible.
We will continue to provide updated information as it becomes available.
This has been a defining experience for all of us. We want to do everything we can to help you succeed this semester.
Lone Star College is committed to providing a safe environment in which to learn, study, and work. The campus Public Address system and LoneStarCollegeAlert will be activated by the LSC Police to provide information and directions when there is an immediate threat on campus.
During high alert situations or when campus closures are a possibility, LoneStar.edu and Lone Star College social media channels such as Twitter and Facebook will also display notifications, instructions and updates with the latest status information.
Types of Notifications
- All current LSC students and employees are automatically opted-in to our emergency alert system with their LoneStar.edu email address as the primary communication source.
- Personal contact information must be updated in myLoneStar to receive emergency text messages or notifications to a personal email account.
- If you want to receive emergency text messages to your cell phone, you MUST login to myLoneStar and update your official student or employee personal information record with your cell phone information.
- If you want to receive notifications to a personal email address, you can add additional email addresses to your personal information record. Please update your personal information record in myLoneStar with the following information and you will receive emergency alert notifications to those devices:
- cell phone
- personal email
- home phone
Updating your Personal Information
- Log-in to myLoneStar
- Expand the Personal Info section, and click "Phone Numbers."
- Click the "Add a Phone Number" button
- Add phone numbers using the drop down menus to select type: mobile, home, other
- Click the "Save" Button
- Log-in to myLoneStar
- Click the "View Personal Information" Icon
- Add phone numbers by using the drop down menus to select type: mobile, home, other.
In The Event of An Emergency
Our ability to survive a disaster also depends on you doing your part to prepare for the unexpected. When calling an emergency assistance number, remember to:
- Give your name, location and phone number.
- Describe what happened.
- Do not hang up until asked to do so.
An involved and informed community is a well prepared community. Your partnership with Lone Star College and the Office of Emergency Management is key to our security and emergency management strategy. View the LSC Emergency Preparedness Guide for more information.
The following are government sites with official information in the event of an emergency:
- Harris County
- Montgomery County
- Harris County Homeland Security & Emergency Management
- Montgomery County Homeland Security & Emergency Management
- City of Houston Emergency Management
- American Red Cross
- National Weather Service
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Community Members and Lone Star College Tenants
Community members and Lone Star College tenants who might be visiting a Lone Star College campus and would like to receive alerts can sign up online at https://lscsalert.lonestar.edu.