Tropical Weather Outlook
There is no current tropical activity in the Gulf of Mexico.
What Lone Star College Is Doing
LSC Office of Emergency Management and our regional emergency management partners are monitoring changing weather conditions in the Gulf of Mexico and the LSC service area. Collectively, we are exchanging information and preparing to activate our emergency management plans. These efforts enable LSC to keep the LSC community better prepared and informed.
What You Can Do
- Monitor LoneStar.edu and the weather continuously for changing conditions and LSC campus status.
- Follow Lone Star College on social media for the latest emergency updates (Twitter and Facebook).
- Ensure your myLoneStar profile information is current and complete.
- Enroll in LoneStarCollegeAlerts by visiting www.lonestar.edu/lonestarcollegealert if a vendor or guest of LSC.
- Download the “MyEOP” app from the Apple Store or Google Play (Organization Code: Lonestar) for general emergency instructions and LSC contact information.
- Discuss instructional plans with your students and continuity plans with your teams in the event of a campus closure.
- Prepare your work area—secure documents, back-up hard drives, turn off electronics.
- Obtain the name and cell phone numbers of five people at work and home to check-in with after an incident.
- Buddy Up with an employee who can help you in the event of an emergency.
- Visit Ready.gov to create a personal plan.
- Check Houston TranStar, DriveTexas, and the National Weather Service for the latest updates before heading out.
- Drive with caution. Slow down and allow for extra breaking distance.
- Turn Around, Don't Drown. NEVER drive around barriers or through high water.
- Use your best judgment to determine when it is safe to travel.
- Notify your instructor (students) or supervisor (employees) if a schedule adjustment is needed.
For more information on LSC emergency preparedness, visit LoneStar.edu/oem.
Lone Star College is committed to providing a safe environment in which to learn, study, and work. The campus Public Address system and LoneStarCollegeAlert will be activated by the LSC Police to provide information and directions when there is an immediate threat on campus.
During high alert situations or when campus closures are a possibility, LoneStar.edu and Lone Star College social media channels such as Twitter and Facebook will also display notifications, instructions and updates with the latest status information.
Types of Notifications
- All current LSC students and employees are automatically opted-in to our emergency alert system with their LoneStar.edu email address as the primary communication source.
- Personal contact information must be updated in myLoneStar to receive emergency text messages or notifications to a personal email account.
- If you want to receive emergency text messages to your cell phone, you MUST login to myLoneStar and update your official student or employee personal information record with your cell phone information.
- If you want to receive notifications to a personal email address, you can add additional email addresses to your personal information record. Please update your personal information record in myLoneStar with the following information and you will receive emergency alert notifications to those devices:
- cell phone
- personal email
- home phone
Updating your Personal Information
- Log-in to myLoneStar
- Expand the Personal Info section, and click "Phone Numbers."
- Click the "Add a Phone Number" button
- Add phone numbers using the drop down menus to select type: mobile, home, other
- Click the "Save" Button
- Log-in to myLoneStar
- Click the "View Personal Information" Icon
- Add phone numbers by using the drop down menus to select type: mobile, home, other.
In The Event of An Emergency
Our ability to survive a disaster also depends on you doing your part to prepare for the unexpected. When calling an emergency assistance number, remember to:
- Give your name, location and phone number.
- Describe what happened.
- Do not hang up until asked to do so.
An involved and informed community is a well prepared community. Your partnership with Lone Star College and the Office of Emergency Management is key to our security and emergency management strategy. View the LSC Emergency Preparedness Guide for more information.
The following are government sites with official information in the event of an emergency:
- Harris County
- Montgomery County
- Harris County Homeland Security & Emergency Management
- Montgomery County Homeland Security & Emergency Management
- City of Houston Emergency Management
- American Red Cross
- National Weather Service
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Community Members and Lone Star College Tenants
Community members and Lone Star College tenants who might be visiting a Lone Star College campus and would like to receive alerts can sign up online at https://lscsalert.lonestar.edu.