|Personal Preparedness Checklist
Before an Emergency:
- Know your location and evacuation routes.
- Know where fire extinguishers, emergency exits, emergency telephones and pull alarms are for your area.
- Know where the First Aid Kit is located.
- Keep 281.290.5911 handy - the telephone number for Campus Emergencies. Program the number into your cell phone.
- Follow instructions given to you from a trusted faculty, staff, or law enforcement representative.
- Keep identification on you at all times.
- If you do not speak English, prepare an emergency card with your name, addresses, and information about medicines and allergies. Keep on you at all times.
- Remember the details of an event.
- Learn where the emergency campus assembly area is located.
- Learn first aid and CPR.
After an Emergency:
- Notify your relatives that you are safe, but do not tie up telephone lines that may be needed for emergency calls.
- Use caution in entering a damaged building.
- Move to a safe and secure place once it is safe to do so.
- Stay away from damaged electrical wires and wet equipment.
- Monitor local television and computer displays and listen for alerts.
- Check food and water supplies for contamination before consuming.
- Check the web at LoneStar.edu for updated information.
- Stay calm and take time to think. Give assistance where needed.
- If ordered to evacuate, take your emergency kit, personal belongings (if possible), and follow official directions to a safe place.
- Use telephones for emergency calls only.
- Water and a nonperishable or easy open canned snack
- Small First Aid Kit
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Special medications and specialty items (pain relievers, walking cane, hearing aid battery, etc.)
- Medical alert and emergency contact information
- Family Emergency Plan
Remember, relief workers cannot reach everyone right away. Prepare before an emergency occurs.