Congratulations! As a parent of a Lone Star College student, you can be sure your child will have access to a world class education and start their journey to a rewarding career. Lone Star College recognizes parents have many questions on how to make their way through the admissions process to make sure their child makes their best start. We understand new students and their needs. Lone Star College offers support services for students who are first-time in college, but we also support honors and university-bound students.
Lone Star College is an open-enrollment institution which accepts all students once their admissions application has been submitted. Your educational needs are our highest priority and our goal is to provide high quality instruction and support services so you can achieve your academic, career and personal goals.
We are committed to providing you with the best support to help you throughout the admissions and registration process. We're here to help you!
Paying for College
One of the biggest questions parents have is paying for college. Financial aid helps students and their families. This financial assistance can cover educational expenses including tuition, fees, books, and supplies. There are several types of financial aid that may be combined into your financial aid package.
Programs & Classes
Another big question students and parents have is deciding what is the right degree to major in. LSC provides academic advisors who are available on a walk-in basis and offer a full array of services ranging from college admissions degree planning, financial aid, and advising and registration.
Helping your child succeed
Lone Star College is committed to your child’s success. As a parent, you play a vital role before they even enroll. Here are some suggestions on how you can help your child be ready and make their best start:
- Talk with your child about the increased academic demands they will face by sharing your own experience, or introduce them to others who have recently attended college.
- One of the most important things your child can do is be sure to go to class. Explain the importance of attending class regularly, taking thorough notes, completing all class assignments and participating in study groups.
- Encourage your child to meet with their professors outside the classroom in order to follow up with questions and/or concerns.
- Help your child to learn how to manage their time. Successful students learn how to plan ahead and how long it will take to read a chapter in a text book, write a paper or study for test.
- Many successful students are those who are involved in various school activities. Students who are active become more motivated and focused to do well.
- Make your child aware of free services such as tutoring, counseling centers and academic advising. You are already paying for these services through your tuition and it can make all the difference in your child’s success.
Community College Advantages
We understand new students and their needs. We offer support services for students who are first-time in college, but we also support honors and university-bound students. If you are in high school, we can help you make the transition to college with our summer bridge or dual credit programs.
If you are not college-ready, we will help you get ready. If you want to transfer to a university, we offer academic degrees so you can complete your first two years of college while living at home and even close to work.
Lone Star College System also offers joint-admissions programs at LSC-University Center. If you are ready to graduate, we can help you find a job locally or out-of-state with our career services.
- Two-thirds of all nurses & healthcare workers get training from community colleges like Lone Star College
- 80 percent of emergency first responders (firefighters, police officers, EMTs, etc.) train at community colleges such as Lone Star College
- Community colleges have lower tuition than traditional four-year institutions