ESL Library Outreach Program - LSC-CyFair
Summer 2016 Programs: June 6 - August 26
The library offers two types of sessions in its ESL program, held in LRNC 215:
- Talk times provide listening and speaking practice. No registration is needed. See schedule in right side column.
- Classes feature more intensive lessons over the course of a several months.
- Register for classes by filling out a form at the first floor library reference desk. You will be contacted as soon as a class is available.
- Both talk times and classes are free.
Other Area Opportunities to Learn English
- Harris County Department of Education
Call the number listed on their Web site to get the latest schedule.
- Cypress Assistance Ministries ESL Classes
- Lone Star College–CyFair ESOL Department - NOTE: Classes are fee based.
Harris County Libraries - Call the library first for class availability:
Practice your Listening Skills on the Web
Learning Resources. Literacy Works
http://literacynet.org/learningresources- Easy to Advanced level
"Each module includes the full text of each story and interactive activities to test comprehension. The learner can choose to read the text, listen to the text, and view a short video clip of the story."
Lots of news here from all over the world. Listen to the Hourly Newscast - click on the arrow to listen at the top right of the page.
Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab
Great site to test your listening skills. Modules include general and academic vocabulary.
Civics and Citizenship Resources
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is a primary source of information for new immigrants.
- Becoming a U.S. Citizen: An Overview of the Naturalization Process (video)
- Promise of Freedom: An Introduction to U.S. History and Civics for Immigrants (video)
- Welcome to the United States: a Guide for New Immigrants
Summer 2016 Talk TimesJune 6 - August 26
No registration required.
1:00 - 2:00 p.m.
1:00 - 2:00 p.m.
Summer 2016 ClassesJune 6 - August 26