ESL Library Outreach Program - LSC-CyFair
Fall 2016 Programs:
September 12 - December 16
The English classes at CyFair Library are full for the fall semester. Please see the information below for other locations offering English classes.
The library offers two types of sessions in its ESL program, held in LRNC 215:
- Talk times provide listening and speaking practice. No registration is needed. See schedule in right side column.
- Classes feature more intensive lessons over the course of a several months.
- Classes and talk times each meet one day a week for 1-2 hours.
- Both classes and talk times are free.
Other Area Opportunities to Learn English
- Harris County Department of Education
Call the number listed on their Web site to get the latest schedule.
- Cypress Assistance Ministries ESL Classes
- Lone Star College–CyFair ESOL Department - NOTE: Classes are fee based.
Harris County Libraries - Call the library first for class availability:
Practice your English Skills on the Web
Access these online language courses for free with your Harris County Public Library card or Lone Star ID card.
Learning Resources. Literacy Works
http://literacynet.org/learningresources- Easy to Advanced level
"Each module includes the full text of each story and interactive activities to test comprehension. The learner can choose to read the text, listen to the text, and view a short video clip of the story."
Create a free account to learn and practice reading, listening, and speaking on your computer or smart phone.
Lots of news here from all over the world. Listen to the Hourly Newscast - click on the arrow to listen at the top right of the page.
Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab
Great site to test your listening skills. Modules include general and academic vocabulary.
Civics and Citizenship Resources
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is a primary source of information for new immigrants.
- Becoming a U.S. Citizen: An Overview of the Naturalization Process (video)
- Promise of Freedom: An Introduction to U.S. History and Civics for Immigrants (video)
- Welcome to the United States: a Guide for New Immigrants
Fall 2016 Talk TimeSeptember 12 - December 16
No registration required.
1:00 - 2:00 p.m.
Fall 2016 Class Registration Dates
Friday, August 26:
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Saturday, August 27:
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Tuesday, August 30:
5:00 pm - 8:00 pm