Office of Emergency Management
| Environment, Health & Safety
LSCS Environment, Health and Safety Program Statement
Lone Star College System (LSCS) is committed to conducting its operations in a safe and environmentally responsible manner.
The role of the LSCS Safety Program is to ensure that LSCS:
- provides a safe working environment for all staff, students and visitors
- activities are all undertaken in a safe manner, and
- complies with the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act and other relevant legislation.
The Safety Program includes:
- Providing expert advice on safety matters to the System
- Developing processes and procedures to support LSCS policies on safety issues and prepares guidance notes as appropriate
- Auditing compliance with LSCS safety policies and national standards
- Assisting with the investigation of accidents and near misses
- Having the Chief Emergency Management Officer, Risk Manager, and Executive Director Facilities serve as liaisons with statutory authorities
- Running a safety training program and providing advice on specialist needs
- Advising on environmental monitoring.
To meet this commitment, LSCS and its employees will:
- Comply with all applicable laws, LSCS policies, and industry codes of practice and require the same of our staff, students, contractors and guests
- Actively identify and manage risks to prevent or reduce possible adverse consequences from our operations
- Be prepared for emergencies and coordinate our response plans with emergency response organizations in the communities where we operate
- Educate our employees and students to be aware of and meet their responsibility for protection of health, safety, and the environment
- Integrate health, safety, and environmental protection measures and objectives into all aspects of our operations
- Communicate openly and regularly with the LSCS community about our activities and their impact on health, safety, and the environment and respond promptly to their concerns
- Work with governmental agencies, industry associations, and other stakeholders to establish standards for health, safety and the environment appropriate for our operation
- Regularly monitor and report our health, safety, and environmental performance and set targets for continuous improvement
- Consulting with and involving our staff and students in matters relating to their own health and safety, and
- Ensuring that control measures and emergency procedures are in place, monitored and maintained.
It is our intention to promote a positive health and safety culture system-wide and educate our staff and students in health and safety. In areas of work which are highly regulated, staff and students will be expected to attend certain courses as a mandatory requirement.
We will continually review and develop our safety management systems, with the overarching aim of conducting our activities in a manner which does not adversely affect the health and safety of the LSCS community or the environment.
We expect every member of LSCS to share this commitment and to work together to achieve it.