Office of Emergency Management
| Environment, Health & Safety
| Types of Waste
When liquids or solids are not labeled properly or the label becomes illegible, they can become unknown to the people responsible for it.
Procedures for Handling Unknown Chemical Waste
- Unknown or unlabeled chemical waste may require analysis prior to disposal.
- Attempt to identify the contents of unlabeled containers. NEVER GUESS the contents of a container.
- Consult with your Laboratory Manager concerning any unidentified waste.
- If the contents are unknown, then complete a Hazardous Waste Tag and indicate on the tag and label "chemical unknown."
- The container must be handled as hazardous waste.
- Notify the Facilities Department prior to pick-up.
Be prepared to provide a billing code to cover the costs related to any analysis.