Office of Emergency Management
| Environment, Health & Safety
| Psychosocial Issues
Parking lots are designed for vehicles and not pedestrians. Parking lots should be viewed as if they were streets and intersections with speed limits, traffic markings, and traffic patterns. Below are a few basic safety tips to help keep you safer when traveling to and from your car.
- Do not assume that drivers can see – vehicles have blind spots.
- Do not wear headphones or become distracted by cell phone conversations.
- Have a co-worker watch you from a window if walking alone. Wave to them on the way to your vehicle.
- Have a whistle or other personal alarm on you.
- Have your keys in your hand before walking to your vehicle.
- In bad weather wear the proper footwear to avoid injuries.
- Look around, inside, and underneath your vehicle for entering. If suspicious, walk away.
- Look both ways before walking.
- Stay aware of your surrounding at all times.
- Use the main building entrance -- avoid rear or secluded exits.
- Walk down the parking lots aisles, crosswalks and sidewalks -- not in-between vehicles.
- Walk in groups – there is safety in numbers.
- When walking towards your vehicle, wave even if no one is watching to give the illusion that someone is watching you.
- If on an LSCS campus, you may request to be escorted to your vehicle by calling X5911 or (281) 290-5911.
- Always note where you parked.
- Avoid parking near shrubbery or the side of vans that has the slide open doors.
- Be aware of your surroundings watching for suspicious people or activities.
- Be cautious in parking garages -- it is harder to see pedestrians.
- Drivers of motorcycles and bicycles are to follow the same traffic rules as drivers of vehicle.
- Keep the tank filled with sufficient gas and in good mechanical condition.
- Keep your valuables locked in the trunk and out of sight.
- Lock the doors and roll up windows once you are in the vehicle.
- Park as close as you can to your building in a highly visible and well-lit area.
- Reduce speeds in bad weather.
- Slow Down! The speed limit in LSCS parking lots is 10 mph.
- Returning to your vehicle:
- Look inside your vehicle before entering.
- Lock all doors and turn on your headlights.
- Limit the amount of time you spend idle in the car.
- If you feel that you are being followed:
- Walk or run quickly to a lighted store or where others can offer assistance.
- Do anything you can to draw attention to yourself -- scream, yell, blow your whistle, or honk the car horn.