Office of Emergency Management
| Environment, Health & Safety
| Psychosocial Issues
The following crime prevention tips can help make the use of an ATM safer for you:
- Memorize your PIN code – do not carry it in your purse or wallet
- Keep your PIN to yourself.
- Select an ATM located inside an open building
- Use an ATM located in a highly visible, well-lighted area.
- If you notice loitering or suspicious activities near the ATM, walk away.
- If others are nearby, do not let them see which buttons you press.
- If making a withdrawal after dark have someone come with you.
- Keep the time spent at the ATM to a minimum – count your money in a safe place.
- Avoid withdrawing large sums of cash.
- Be aware of your surroundings while using an ATM. Cancel your transaction immediately and leave if you notice anything suspicious.
- Always take your receipt with you.
- Report suspicious activities to the LSCS Police at X5911 (or 281.290.5911) immediately if using an ATM on campus.
- For all other reports of suspicious activities to 9-1-1.