A Few Policies
- Exams will not be administered without proper photo identification.
- Students MUST know their instructor's name, course name, course number, and the name of the test they are requesting.
- Cell phones, PDAs, MP3 players and other electronic entertainment devices are not permitted in the testing center.
- Students with purses, food, drinks, or backpacks will be asked to store them prior to being seated.
- The Assessment Center does not provide childcare. Students who come with children need to reschedule testing with their instructor.
- Students are not allowed to talk during testing. The test will be sent back to the instructor with an Incident Report.
- Expired exams will not be issued. It is the student's responsibility to contact the instructor to make alterative arrangements.
- Please familiarize yourself with our hours of operation. We do not extend hours. Tests must be submitted by closing time.
If a student refuses to abide by these policies, the test will not be issued. If the student violates these procedures during the administering of a test, the test will be taken up and returned to the instructor with an incident report.
- ADA Students needing special accommodations (reader or scribe) need to contact counseling at (281-401-5370) 48 hours in advance of testing.
- Appointments are also required to reserve ADA equipment and must also be made through the Assessment Center 48 hours prior to testing. Availability of equipment cannot be guaranteed without an appointment.
- Please call ahead to confirm hours and availability at 281-401-5314.
Lone Star College students should note the following when preparing to take a test:
- No appointment is necessary for Lone Star students taking tests for Lone Star classes.
- Please check with the testing center regarding time limitations on different types of exams.
- Students that need to use the ADA testing room will need to make an appointment with the Assessment Center at least 48 hours in advance.
- No charge is associated with Lone Star classes.
- Tests will not be administered without a picture ID.
- Please familiarize yourself with our hours as each location operates under different hours.
- Tests will not be administered within an hour of closing.
- Tests must be submitted at closing time. Hours will not be extended.
- Please make sure that you know your instructor’s name, the course number and section of the class you are taking. It is also necessary to know your log-in and passwords if taking an on-line exam.
- Finally, please remember to bring additional items if required for testing such as blue books, scan-trons, pens, pencils, and paper appropriate for essays or graphs.
The University Park Assessment Center is unable to accommodate full class testing although we will administer and proctor an exam if a student has been permitted to make up the exam.
All online students are allowed to use the Assessment Center for testing needs.
LSC Hybrid Courses
Hybrid courses are similar to online classes and students may use the Assessment Center for testing purposes.
COMPASS, COMPASS/ESL, COMPASS Remote
To take the COMPASS, COMPASS/ESL, or COMPASS Remote, you must bring a picture ID and a referral slip or registration number before we can administer the exam. Please bring a calculator with you if you own one.
COMPASS or eCOMPASS is a computer based placement test with four distinct parts: Reading, Writing, Mathematics and an essay. Students usually need at least one hour for each section or four hours for the entire test.
COMPASS/ESL is a computer based placement test given to students registering for English As Second Language classes.
COMPASS Remote is a computer based placement test set up by another institution and administered at our location. The cost is $25.00 and you must have a registration number. If you need to take COMPASS for another institution but they do not participate in Remote testing, we can still administer the test and mail, email, or fax the scores to the appropriate recipient.
TSI ACCUPLACER, ACCUPLACER MATH, ACCUPLACER REMOTE
To take ACCUPLACER, you must bring a picture ID and a referral slip before we can administer the test. Note: ACCUPLACER does not allow the use of a calculator but provides an onscreen option while testing.
TSI ACCUPLACER is a computer based placement test with four distinct parts: Reading, Writing, Mathematics and an essay. Students usually need at least one hour for each section or four hours for the entire test. This is the placement test used for all schools in Texas as per state law.
ACCUPLACER MATH is a computer based placement test for advanced placement in math. Students must have an LSC-UP advisors’ referral in order to take this test. Students usually need at least one and a half hours to complete this test.
ACCUPLACER Remote is a computer based placement test set up by another institution and administered at our location. The cost is $25.00 and you must have a registration number.
Foreign Language Placement Exams
AVANT Placement is an initial measurement of real-world language ability in reading, writing, and speaking as it pertains to credit (university-transferable) courses in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish in the Lone Star College System. Students who have studied a language in high school OR have had exposure to a language at home should take the AVANT Language Placement Test before registering for a language class. Students will be placed into the appropriate course as indicated below. Upon completion of the course with a grade of C or better, the student receives credit for the course and may request PLA credit for certain lower level courses. This is a placement exam only. It does not award credit toward language classes or requirements.
See the External Challenge Exams web page for details and applicable fees.
AVANT Placement Levels
0 - 2.1
2.2 - 3.5
3.6 - 5.1
2311 or 2313
(Students who are heritage or native speakers of Spanish should take 2313.)
5.2 - 6.0
2312 or 2315
(Students who are heritage or native speakers of Spanish should take 2315.)
University Park administers the ITSC 1401 - Introduction to Computers Challenge Exam. Students who seek credit by examination for Basic Computer Skills and Competencies may pick up a PLA (Prior Learning Assessment) form from the Student Services office. Once approved, please proceed to the Business Office and pay a $25 fee. A photo I.D. is needed and you will need at least 4 hours prior to closing. The test must be completed in one sitting and cannot be retaken. This exam has two parts: multiple-choice questions on computer literacy and hands-on computer skills section on Microsoft office 2000 (Word, Excel, and Access). A minimum score of 80% is required on EACH SECTION to be considered passing. The computer department will provide test results.
Requirements for Testing
Students must be enrolled in the Lone Star College System at the time exam is administered. The Challenge Exam is given by appointment only and there is a $25 charge for the exam. Please contact the UP Assessment Center for more information at 281-401-5314.
Additional information about Challenge Exams can be found at www.lonestar.edu/challenge-courses.htm.
The College-Level Examination Program® or CLEP provides students of any age with the opportunity to demonstrate college-level achievement through a program of exams in undergraduate college courses. There are 2,900 colleges that grant credit and/or advanced standing for CLEP exams. Visit the College Board Web site to find exam descriptions and other information. Please check with your college or university to ensure that CLEP is accepted. The registration process and exam can take up to 3 hours so make sure that you arrive before 5pm Monday-Thursday and 1pm on Friday. CLEP is not available on Saturday and Sunday.
Please bring two forms of identification to the test center. Your primary ID must include your photo and signature; e.g. a driver’s license or passport. Your secondary ID must have a signature and/or photo; e.g. a social security card or student ID card. Note: Student/college ID cards are acceptable only as a secondary form of ID. Please follow this link to the CLEP site if you need additional choices for acceptable forms of ID. Cell phones, calculators, PDAs of any kind, beepers, alarm watches, books, papers, and food are not allowed in the testing room. Please print out and bring your completed CLEP registration form. A calculator is provided if your exam requires you to use one. Each exam lasts approximately two hours. Please plan accordingly. Candidates with disabilities who require accommodations must make arrangements well in advance of the test date.
To take a CLEP exam, there is an administration fee of $15.00 and a CLEP fee of $80.00.
Military Service Members: Active Duty/Reserves/National Guard—There is no examination fee, but you will have to pay the college’s administration fee. Military personnel must present military ID and a second form of government-issued, photo ID (such as a driver’s license or a passport).
Additional information is available at www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html.
Students are responsible for making all arrangements with the college, university, or institution for which they are testing. Photo identification is required with a fee of $25 per test. Payment for out-of-district testing is due prior to starting the exam. Exams from other colleges can take up to 10 business days to arrive at our Testing Center. Please call ahead to verify that your exam has arrived in our office before coming in for testing. Our number is 281-401-5314. The proctor on duty will be more than happy to confirm what materials will be permitted on your exam so you can arrive prepared. Appointments are not required for out-of-district testing. Seating for exams ends one hour prior to closing time. Exams must be submitted at closing.
Correspondence and testing materials may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the student's name within the subject line of your e-mail. Testing materials may be sent to:
Lone Star College-University Park
B13.240 - Assessment Center
20515 SH 249
Houston, TX 77070
Pearson VUE offers an assortment of tests through various sponsors such as certifications. We do not register individuals for these exams, but we can administer exams. Please visit http://www.pearsonvue.com/ or check with your sponsor to register for an exam. Note: To take an exam, you must present two forms of ID.