Placement Test Preparation
The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) is a state legislated program designed to improve student success in college by requiring all students attending public institutions of higher education, unless considered TSI Exempt, to complete assessment in reading, writing and mathematics before enrolling in classes. Preparing for assessments is encouraged since test scores determine course placement. Students scoring below college level readiness are required to enroll in developmental courses which do not apply towards a degree or certificate.
Pre-Assessment Activity for TSI Assessment
The pre-assessment activity is required to complete the TSI Assessment and can be done online (log into myLoneStar) or in-person through a test preparation session. Once the pre-assessment is completed, students can take their TSI Assessment. Students who are TSI Exempt are not required to complete the pre-assessment activity unless they are choosing to take the TSI Assessment.
Students can prepare for assessment tests by reviewing relevant subjects (i.e. reading, writing and math) for the exam. View more information about Test Preparation classes at Lone Star College for the ACT, SAT, TSIA or GED tests.
Test Preparation Workshops and Review Sessions
Students can attend test preparation workshops at any Lone Star College campus. Each workshop is approximately three hours long and provides an overview of placement tests, sample questions and problems, as well as a study plan to help tackle the test.
Placement Test Review Sessions
LSC-Kingwood Learning Center
Performing Arts Center, Room 200
Register for a Session Online
For more information about Test Prep call 936.273.7373 or visit the Courtesy Counter in Building C, Room 203
Student Services Building, SB-105
Lone Star College–University Park
Building 13, Room 240
Learning Express Library
The Lone Star College partnership with Learning Express allows all Lone Star College students to access test preparation in many areas. New users of the Learning Express Library will need to set up an account using their Lone Star College e-mail.
- Find more information about setting up an account
- Learning Express Library Home Page
- College Placement Exam Preparation
- Learning Express Library Help
Additional Test Preparation Websites
- ETS (Educational Testing Service): a nonprofit educational testing organization providing test dates and practice question for a variety of tests
- Test Prep Review: Practice for over 50 different tests
- 4Tests: Free online practice exams
- Peterson's College Bound Test Prep: Practice tests for several standardized entrance exams
|Interpreting Your Score|
|TSI Assessment Information Brochure|
|TSI Test Content|
|TSI-Frequently Asked Questions|
|Courses to Satisfy TSI Requirements|
Online Tests and Review
- Accuplacer online study apps
- Overview of Accuplacer requirements
- Tips for taking the Accuplacer
- Accuplacer Sample Questions
- Test Prep Review
Test Taking Strategies