Students who meet the following criteria will be considered TSI exempt. Students meeting the exemption criteria must submit evidence of eligibility for exemption to a Lone Star College Campus
- Students who transfer to Lone Star College from a private or independent institution of higher education, or an accredited out-of-state institution of higher education, and have satisfactorily completed college-level coursework.
- Students who have previously attended any institution and have been determined to have met readiness standards by that institution.
- Students who have graduated with an associate or baccalaureate degree from a DOE Accredited Post Secondary Institution
- Students serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, serving for at least three years preceding enrollment.
- Students who on, or after August 1, 1990, were honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard or service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States.
- A student who successfully completes a college preparatory course is exempt for a period of twenty-four (24) months from the date of high school graduation with respect to the content area of the course. The student must enroll in the student's first college-level course in the exempted content area in the student's first year of enrollment at Lone Star College. This exemption applies only when LSC has partnered with the school district in which the student is enrolled to provide the course.
- Non-degree seeking student
- Test Scores. For a period of five years from the date of testing a student who is tested and performs at or above the following standards are exempt from TSI testing:
Students who meet the following criteria will be provided with a TSI waiver allowing students to postpone testing while in the following status:
- A student with demonstrated limited English proficiency is permitted a test waiver while enrolled in ESOL coursework at Lone Star College. Students are allowed to attempt 15 credit hours of ESOL coursework prior to being assessed by the TSIA2.
- A student who is enrolled in a level 1 certificate is permitted a test waiver while enrolled in the level 1 courses. Students who desire to enroll in courses other than those in the level 1 certificate are required to be assessed by the TSIA2.
- Students who are enrolled in a certificate program of one year or less (Level-One certificates, 42 or fewer semester credit hours or the equivalent at a public junior college, a public technical institute, or a public state college).