Important Information Registration for Summer and Fall classes is open
Next Chance Financial Aid Applications due July 1
LSC Facilities are open only to designated employees and students with Face-to-Face classes
LSC Student Resources can be found here
Emergency Assistance Available Apply now for CARES Act assistance to help cover expenses related to disruptions due to COVID-19
The English/Spanish Interpreter Program provides specialized training for people who want to become professional community, medical, legal, business and/or court interpreters.
Increased international communication in politics, science, technology, business, the arts and media has heightened the demand for highly skilled interpreters who can work effectively across language and cultural barriers. Moreover, under Title VI, Federal Agencies are required to provide Limited-English-Proficient individuals access to their programs and services, which generally involves services for oral interpretation.
LSC-North Harris offers three Interpreting courses:
Foundational Interpreting Course
Interpreting in Medical Settings
Interpreting in Court Settings
In the lecture portion of each class, students learn about current principles, code of ethics, responsibilities, and standard practices of the interpreting profession. During the lab sessions, students meet in the Open Language Lab to use the state-of-the-art interpreting equipment available to practice sight-translation, simultaneous interpreting and consecutive interpreting.
Upon completion of each course, students receive an English/Spanish Interpreter Certificate from Lone Star College, awarding continuing education units (CEUs). These Certificates of Completion are not equivalent to interpreter licensing; however, they prepare you for certification, serve as proof of training in interpreting, and give you an edge when seeking employment to apply your skills. The LSC-North Harris English/Spanish Interpreter Program has been approved by the Judicial Branch Certification Commission - Texas Courts to provide the Pre-Licensing Orientation Course # LCO2019301.
Foundational English/Spanish Interpreting Program Learning Outcomes
1. Interpret using the main modes of interpreting: sight-translation, consecutive interpreting and simultaneous interpreting
2. Interpret accurately and effectively in community settings adhering to a professional code of ethics and following the institution protocols
3. Interpret accurately and effectively in healthcare and medical settings adhering to a professional code of ethics and following the institution protocols
4. Interpret accurately and effectively in legal settings adhering to a professional code of ethics and following the institution protocols
Advanced English/Spanish Interpreting Program Learning Outcomes
1. Master the main modes of interpreting: sight-translation, consecutive interpreting and note-taking; and simultaneous interpreting
2. Interpret accurately and effectively in business and legal settings adhering to a professional code of ethics and following the institution protocols
3. Interpret conferences accurately and effectively in various settings adhering to a professional code of ethics and following the institution protocols
4. Use cutting-edge technology to interpret conferences remotely, via telephone or video conference applications
Students must take an Interpreting Entry Exam, which is a written and oral assessment of language skills in English and Spanish. It tests participantís grammar, listening comprehension, memory and oral expression skills in both languages.
For careers and median salaries, visit Career Star for more information.