Grants & Non-Profits
|Resources for Nonprofit Organizations||Texas Foundations|
|Texas Nonprofit Resources||Corporate Funding|
|Grant Writing Information||Corporate Research|
|Foundation Funding Resources||Government Information|
- How do I Start a Nonprofit Organization?
Learning Lab at The Foundation Center
- How to Start a Non-Profit Organization
Information from the U. S. Small Business Administration
- How to Start a Nonprofit Organization
State of Minnesota resource
- Starting a Nonprofit Organization: One Stop Answer Page
"If you're thinking of starting a nonprofit organization, this is the place to begin. You'll find links to basic information such as planning, legal resources and fundraising."
- Starting a Nonprofit Organization
Great advice from Management Assistance Program for Nonprofits
- Starting Your Own Business or Nonprofit
Information from U. S. Government agencies
- The Internet Site for Nonprofit Organizations
From Nonprofitlaw.com "So you want to Start Up a...nonprofit foundation"
- America's Charities
- America's Promise
- Aspen Institute
"The Aspen Institute is a global forum for leveraging the power of leaders to improve the human condition. Through its seminar and policy programs, the Institute fosters enlightened, morally responsible leadership and convenes leaders and policy makers to address the foremost challenges of the new century."
- Better Business Bureaus Wise Giving Alliance
"Give.org is the new site of the BBB Wise Giving Alliance formed by the merger of the National Charities Information Bureau and the Council of Better Business Bureaus' Foundation and its Philanthropic Advisory Service. The Alliance reports on nationally soliciting charitable organizations that are the subject of donor inquiries."
"BoardSource is dedicated to advancing the public good by building exceptional nonprofit boards and inspiring board service."
- Charity Village
"Canada's supersite for the nonprofit sector."
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
"The newspaper of the nonprofit world"
- Directory for Charities Worldwide
- Financial Information for Nonprofits
- Foundation Center
- Fundraising Idea Bank
- Fundsnet Online Services Main Page
- The Grantsmanship Center
"The National Database of Nonprofit Organizations" Search GuideStar's database of more than 850,000 U.S. nonprofit organizations.
- Indiana University Center on Philanthropy
- National Center for Charitable Statistics
- National Council of Nonprofit Associations
- National Charities Information Bureau
- National Society of Fund Raising Executives
- The Nonprofit FAQ
"The Nonprofit FAQ is an indexed collection of answers to Frequently Asked Questions about nonprofit organizations. Started in 1994, the Q&A in the FAQ is continually updated using new materials from many sources including online discussions."
- The Nonprofit Resource Center
- Nonprofit Times
- Partnership for Philanthropic Planning
- Philanthropy News Digest
- SBA Nonprofit Home Page
US Small Business Adminstration
- Social Worker
- Fort Worth Business Assistance Center
"If you're thinking about starting your own business but aren't sure where to start, look no further. The Fort Worth Business Assistance Center is here to assist you from inception to start-up and growing your business."
- Funding Information Center of Fort Worth, Texas
"The Funding Information Center (FIC) is a free, self-service library of research materials on grants, fundraising, and nonprofit management. The FIC is an affiliate of the Foundation Center and one of 15 Cooperating Collections in Texas."
- Nonprofit Resource Center of Texas
- Texas Commission on the Arts
- Texas Department of Health Services: Funding Information Center
- Texas Governor's Office of Budget and Planning - State Grants Team
"The State Grants Team's mission is to alert entities throughout Texas about funding opportunities. The State Grants Team has compiled a number of resources about public and private funding opportunities."
- Texas Legislature Online
- Texas Nonprofit Management Assistance Center
"An association of providers identifying and meeting the needs of Texas non-profits."
- Texas Register
- The Nonprofit Resource Center of Texas
- The Foundation Center's Proposal Writing Short Course
- Grant Proposals (or Give Me The Money)
Tutorial from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Non-Profit Guides: Grant Writing Guide
- Sample Grant Documents
- Proposal Writing: A Practical Guide for Writing Proposals
by Alice N. T. Reid, Instructor of English, Delaware Technical and Community College, Wilmington Campus (Word Document)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Proposal Writing Resources
- Writing a Successful Grant Proposal
- Community of Science Funding Opportunities
- Council on Foundations
- Foundation Directory
- Welcome to the Foundation Center Online
"Your Gateway to Philanthropy on the World Wide Web"
- Abell-Hanger Foundation
- The Beldon Fund
- Benton Foundation
The mission of the Benton Foundation is to articulate a public interest vision for the digital age and to demonstrate the value of communications for solving social problems.
- Carnegie Corporation of New York
- Commonwealth Fund
The Commonwealth Fund is a private foundation that aims to promote a high performing health care system that achieves better access, improved quality, and greater efficiency, particularly for society's most vulnerable.
- The Nathan Cummings Foundation
"...Promotes humane health care; and fosters arts and culture that enriches communities."
- Charles A. Dana Foundation
- Arthur Vining Davis Foundations
The purpose of the Foundations is to provide financial assistance (...) to certain educational, cultural, scientific and religious institutions.
- The Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation
"...is a private philanthropic foundation with principal interests in brain science, immunology, and arts education."
- Edutopia: the George Lucas Educational Foundation
- Elton John AIDS Foundation
- Freedom Forum International
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- The Hoblitzelle Foundation
"Grants... are usually focused on specific, non-recurring needs of the educational, social service, medical, cultural, and civic organizations in Texas, particularly in the Dallas area."
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- The Ittleson Foundation
Serves the needs of the underprivileged and provides resources for organizations.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
A private operating foundation focusing on the major health care issues facing the U.S., as well as the U.S. role in global health policy.
- Lumina Foundation for Education
- Lindbergh Foundation/Grants Summary
"Each year, The Lindbergh Foundation provides grants to men and women whose individual initiative and work in a wide spectrum of disciplines furthers the Lindberghs' vision of a balance between the advance of technology and the preservation of the natural/human environment."
- John D. and Katherine T. MacArthur Foundation
The MacArthur Foundation supports creative people and effective institutions committed to building a more just, verdant, and peaceful world.
- Robert R. McCormick Tribune Foundation
Invests in "children, communities, and country".
- James S. McDonnell Foundation
"was established to "improve the quality of life," and does so by contributing to the generation of new knowledge through its support of research and scholarship."
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
Grants in higher education and the arts.
- Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
"Building strong communities through collaboration provides a basis for positive change."
- David and Lucile Packard Foundation
"We work to improve the lives of children, enable the creative pursuit of science, advance reproductive health, and conserve and restore the earth's natural systems."
- Pew Charitable Trusts
"Pew applies a rigorous, analytical approach to improve public policy, inform the public and stimulate civic life."
- Public Welfare Foundation
"...supports efforts to ensure fundamental rights and opportunities for people in need."
- Rockefeller Brothers Fund
- Rockwell Foundation
"...a private foundation that supports charities located in the Houston-Gulf Coast region."
- Rotary Foundation
"Rotary club members are volunteers who work locally, regionally, and internationally to combat hunger, improve health and sanitation, provide education and job training, promote peace, and eradicate polio under the motto Service Above Self."
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
"...makes grants in support of original research and education in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and economic performance."
- Open Society Institute: Soros Foundations Network
"The Open Society Institute works to build vibrant and tolerant democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens."
- The Spencer Foundation
Investments in education research
- The Starr Foundation
"makes grants in a number of areas, including education, medicine and healthcare, human needs, public policy, culture and the environment."
- Surdna Foundation
"The foundation makes grants in the areas of environment, community revitalization, effective citizenry, the arts and the nonprofit sector."
- Turner Foundation
"...working to protect & restore the natural systems that make life possible."
- Weeden Foundation - Environmental Grantmakers
Addressing "the adverse impact of growing human populations and overuse of natural resources on the biological fabric of the planet."
- Whitaker Foundation
- Wilburforce Foundation
"...protects wildlife and targeted wildlands in Western North America by actively supporting organizations and leaders advancing conservation solutions."
- Cooper Foundation - Waco, Texas
- Hogg Foundation for Mental Health
- Houston Endowment Inc.
- The Kronkosky Foundation
- The Magnolia Charitable Trust
Environmental giving for Texas
- Meadows Foundation
- The RGK Foundation
- The San Antonio Area Foundation
- Sid W. Richardson Foundation
- Texas A&M Research Foundation
- The Waco Foundation
- Alcoa Foundation
- Ben & Jerry's Foundation
- CAF's Corporate Community Involvement Resource Centre
- General Electric Fund
- Hewlett-Packard Company
HP Technology for Teaching Grant Initiative
- IBM Corporation
Online U.S. Grant Information
- Levi Strauss Foundation
- Medtronic Foundation
- Metropolitan Life Foundation
- Mitsubishi Electric America Foundation
- Nationwide Foundation
- New York Life Foundation
- Safeco Giving
- Toyota TAPESTRY Grants for Teachers
- Whirlpool Foundation
- Annual Reports Library
"A resource for finding and evaluating Annual Reports."
Contains 20,000 free company profiles and research reports. Searching is also available by state, country and industry. Other information provided includes currency exchange rates and news stories.
- EDGAR Database of Corporate Information
Official US Securities and Exchange Commission Web site. Financial filings from public companies.
- Google Finance
News and market information
- Hoover's ONLINE
Basic capsule information is free plus the free links to SEC filings and corporate news makes it a useful "one stop" shop.
- Kompass -- international directories -- (basic information is free)
A "business to business directory with 2.3M companies in 70 countries referenced by 57K product & service keywords, 86K trade names, & 4.6M executive names."
- Thomas Register of American Manufacturers
- Yahoo! Finance
Use to quickly locate company financial information online. Tools to create charts and industry comparisons. The historical price table will also provide historical dividends and provides a nice download feature that makes importing the data into a spreadsheet easy.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
- Census Bureau
- US Department of Education Funding
- US Department of Health and Human Services
- Federal Business Opportunities
- GPO Access
- Institute of Museums and Library Services
- Internal Revenue Service
- National Endowment for the Arts
- A Guide to Funding Resources from the National Agricultural Library
- National Endowment for the Humanities: Apply For a Grant
- National Institute of Health Guide
- National Science Foundation: Find Funding