LSC-CyFair Welding Technology Department
Lone Star College – Cypress Center
19710 Clay Road
Katy, TX 77449
Front Desk: 832.920.5001
Welding Technology is a comprehensive program of studies designed to provide skill development opportunities in oxyacetylene (gas) and electric welding. Classes are conducted in laboratories that are equipped with modern industrial welding equipment, and skills development opportunities are afforded in advanced welding techniques.
Welding student equipment requirements:
- Welding Hood – Shaded Lenses Needed (10-13) or Auto Dark hood with adjustable 10-13 lens shades
- Welders Cap
- Jeans Without – Frays, holes, or cuffs (Jeans will not be tucked into your boots)
- Long sleeve welding shirt with covered pockets, Welding Jacket, or Leathers (shirt must be Cotton or Wool)
- Clear Safety Glasses – Will be worn at all times in the Lab, cutting, yard, and layout areas.
- Cutting Goggles or Glasses Shade #5 -for Oxyfuel cutting area and Plasma cutting area.
- Textbook as required by your syllabus
- Tape Measure
- Soap Stone
- Channel Locks
- Welding Pliers
- Paint markers
- Speed Square
- Tool File - Small
- 4 1/2-inch Grinder
- Grinder Cut off wheels
- Abrasive grinding wheels
- Grinder Flap Disks
- Grinder Wire Wheel
- Chipping Hammer
- Vise Grips
- Large Wooden Wire Brush
- Basic hand tools pliers/wrenches/screw drivers
- Required Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Torch and Parts as indicated below.
Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Torch and Parts
Safety first and follow directions always. You will be welding, and there is a high possibility you will get burned, exposed to heat, exposed to smoke, or receive minor cuts and abrasions. You are to take the necessary precautions and purchase the required equipment and any additional equipment you feel is appropriate. No equipment will be loaned out and none of your equipment will be stored on campus for you. If you show up to the welding lab in baggy or frayed pants, tennis shoes or flip flops you will be asked to go home and change, and you will lose points for the day. If you show up without your equipment you will be asked to leave and return with your equipment, and you will lose points for the day.
When there is lecture you will need your textbook as required per your syllabus, pen, pencil, paper, folder, or binder, and a ruler. Bring these items to class or you will be asked to leave and retrieve the required items, and you will lose points for the day. The instructors in the Welding Program take their job and safety seriously. The same is expected of you as students. If you cannot comply with these requirements, do not register for the welding courses. There are other students that are willing to comply, make the sacrifice, and take your place.
Faculty and Staff
Office: CYC 213G
Director, Advanced Manufacturing Center
Office: CYC 102A
Assoc. Professor - Welding
Office: CYC 102D
Assoc. Professor - Welding
Office: CYC 102I