The Write Place
In-Person Services Available by Appointments and Walk-ins!
Our writing consultants include faculty from various disciplines are available for one-on-one consultations to help with any writing project at any stage of the writing process. The tutoring services for writing are provided by The Write Place (G103). The Write Place services include free tutoring in writing, ESOL support, reading, and public speaking.
As an across-the curriculum writing center, The Write Place is devoted to improving studentsí writing, communication, and reading skills across the academic disciplines. The Write Place tutors are available to assist students, faculty, and staff with any writing-related activity, from brainstorming and research to revising and editing. The Write Place offers online and face-to-face tutoring by appointments and on a first-come first-served basis. View both in-person and online Service Hours for the current semester. For more information, visit The Writing Help for Students.
Online Writing Tutoring with Brainfuse/TutorMatch
Lone Star College System, in partnership with Brainfuse/TutorMatch, offers all enrolled students unlimited pre-scheduled tutoring services with the LSC tutors via Tutor Match. LSC online writing tutors are available to help you with any project at any stage of the writing process with an emphasis on structure, word choice, content, and sentence fluency. We support writing across all disciplines and projects beyond the standard essay or research paper assignment. Service Hours .
Our tutors will:
- encourage you to revise your paper critically,
- Assist you with tips and techniques for brainstorming, finding a thesis, organizing your work, providing support, citing correctly, and addressing other writing-related issues,
- help you to become a better writer.
Tutor Match will allow you to:
- connect with a live tutor through an online video/chat session,
- submit your writing assignment for review by a tutor
- view sample Math and English lessons in Skill Surfer.
For more information about how to access online tutoring, visit Online Tutoring.
What We Offer
- 12 Computers with Microsoft Windows and Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- One-on-one writing consultations of around 30 minutes in length
- Quick assistance whenever a consultant is available
- Dozens of reference handouts and books on writing and related topics
- Helpful website list for information and exercises
- Sample assignments from courses across the curriculum
- A page on financial literacy for practical knowledge
- Free informative workshops scheduled throughout the semester
- Our writing consultants do not take over or "fix" your work, but come alongside to help you be a better writer. Our philosophy centers on the process, not a product.
- We can, however, provide you with tips and techniques for brainstorming, finding a thesis, organizing, adding support, citing correctly, and other writing-related issues.
- In a writing consultation, the consultant will focus on your goals and use your writing to practice strategies for meeting these goals. We provide a written record of your visit.
Writing Across the Curriculum
The Write Place is a proud supporter of the WAC Journal of Student Writing. Entries into the journal are selected for submission by a student's professor. We employ this resource as a valuable aid in our consultations.