Think you missed your chance to start college this spring? Think again.
Although registration for Montgomery College’s traditional 16-week semester ends on Saturday, January 13, the college offers second-start classes with start dates beginning in late January through March.
Second-start classes range from eight to 14 weeks in length. Students can register up to the first day of class and complete their course by the first week of May--or earlier depending on the course’s length and start date.
"This is a great opportunity for those who couldn't begin the semester in mid January," said Dr. Julie Leidig, vice president of instruction at Montgomery College. "We want to make college as accessible as possible for those who have unique work or personal situations."
A wide variety of second-start classes are offered, including some LSC-Online formats, and some offered at the Conroe Center (102 Longview St., just east of downtown Conroe). Courses are designed to fit a broad range of academic goals toward certificates, associate’s degrees or university transfer. Program areas include art, chemistry, drama, music, computer science, economics, humanities, sociology, math, English, English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL), and speech. Specific courses, with starting dates, include:
- Art Appreciation (starts 1/23)
- Design I (starts 1/26)
- Intro. to Chemistry (starts 2/5)
- Intro to Computers (starts 1/30, 2/19, 2/26, 2/23, and 3/19)
- Theatre Practicums (starts 1/29, 3/19)
- Intro. to Theatre (starts 1/30)
- Music Fundamentals (starts 1/30)
- Micro-Economics (starts 3/19)
- Marriage and Family (starts 3/19)
- Intro to Humanities (starts 1/30)
- Pre-Algebra Math (starts 2/12 and 2/13)
- Intro to Algebra (starts 2/12 and 2/13)
- Intermediate Algebra (starts 2/12 and 2/13)
- College Algebra (starts 2/12, 2/13, and 3/19)
- College Math for Liberal Arts (starts 3/19)
- English-as-a-Second-Language (all levels, starting 1/29)
- English Composition & Rhetoric I (starts 3/19)
- English Composition & Rhetoric II (starts 3/19)
- Public Speaking (starts 3/19)
- Interpersonal Communication (starts 1/30)
- Microcomputer Applications (2/12, 2/26, 3/19)
- U. S. History Since 1877 (3/18)
For more information about the classes listed above, please visit the online schedule.
Students are encouraged to visit the office of student services (Building E) if they have questions regarding advising, financial aid, or admissions. Beginning Tuesday, January 16, hours for student services are Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m., and Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. The college will be closed on Monday, January 16, in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
For more information about Montgomery College, visit montgomery.lonestar.edu, or call (936) 273-7000. Montgomery College is located at 3200 College Park Drive, approximately one-half mile west of I-45 between Conroe and The Woodlands.