Course Description: Integration of critical reading and academic writing skills. The course fulfills TSI requirements for reading and/or writing. This course carries institutional credit but will not transfer and will not be used to meet degree requirements. (3201085912) Prerequisite: ESOL 0364 and ESOL 0374 or instructor approval or placement by exam
Learning Outcomes Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Locate explicit textual information, draw complex inferences, and describe, analyze, and evaluate the information within and across multiple texts of varying lengths.
2. Comprehend and use vocabulary effectively in oral communication, reading, and writing.
3. Identify and analyze the audience, purpose, and message across a variety of texts.
4. Describe and apply insights gained from reading and writing a variety of texts.
5. Compose a variety of texts that demonstrate reading comprehension, clear focus, logical development of idea and use of appropriate language that advance the writer’s purpose.
6. Determine and use effective approaches and rhetorical strategies for given reading and writing situations.
7. Generate ideas and gather information relevant to the topic and purpose, incorporating the ideas and words of other writers in student writing using established strategies.
8. Evaluate relevance and quality of ideas and information in recognizing, formulating, and developing a claim.
9. Develop and use effective reading and revision strategies to strengthen the writer’s ability to compose college-level writing assignments.
10 . Recognize and apply the conventions of Standard English in reading and writing.