LSC-Kingwood Fire Science Technology Department
Steps of Enrollment and Success
- You must first apply at Lone Star College-Kingwood through the online application process. Admissions Application
- Meet with an academic advisor at the Lone Star College-Kingwood campus. “Day classes are held from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM Monday through Thursday. Night Classes are held from 5:00 PM to 11:00 PM Monday through Thursday. Certification is a two semester program – you must begin with a cohort in the fall semester and complete the program at the end of the following spring semester.
- With Director approval, register for the program. Note that there are three options: Structural Firefighter Certification, Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Fire Science Technology, or Continuing Education (for certification only). Your advisor will help you choose the correct program for your needs.
- You must be certified physically fit by your physician using the Physical Exam Form provided by the Fire Academy staff. You will not be allowed to participate in any activities or instruction until this form is turned in to the Academy staff.
- Enrollment is limited to 25 students; admission to the Academy is on a first come, first served basis, so early enrollment is highly encouraged.
- General Physical Fitness Requirements:
- Must be able to run 1.5 miles under 13:15 minutes.
- Must be able to lift heavy objects - approximately 150 lbs.
- Must fully participate in a required physical agility course while attending the academy.
- Must be in good general health.
- Your weight must be in proportion to your height.
- Must turn in Physical Exam Form, completed and signed by your physician - due by the first week of class and delivered to Program Director at LSC-Kingwood.
- Background Check through CertifiedBackground.com and turned into Admissions Counselor and approved by the program director.
Financial Aid is available through the financial Aid office (see your advisor)
|Running Shoes||Own Purchase|
|Fire Fighter Gear Rental (9 months)||*$1,200|
*Your own NFPA Structural Firefighting Gear may be used upon Director's approval. All personal gear used must have a current NFPA 1851 Advanced Inspection Certificate that will be good throughout the entire class.
**Prices subject to change
|Fire gear rental package - Bunker pants and coat, Helmet, Gloves, Hood, Bunker boots, Gear and SCBA bag||$1,200|
|PT Uniform Package - 4 T-Shirts w/ LSC logo, 2 Gym Shorts w/ LSC logo, 1 Sweatpants w/LSC logo, 1 Sweatshirt w/LSC logo||$100|
|Required - Jones and Bartlett Fire Fighter Skills and Hazardous Material Response 4th ed. ISBN 97812841551336||$100|
|Recommended - IFSTA Essentials of Fire Fighting 7th ed.||$245|
- Fundamentals of Fire Fighting Skills and Hazardous Materials Response ISBN 9781284151336
- Awareness and Operations 3rd Ed. ISBN 9781284140705, Jones and Bartlett
- Exam Prep. Firefighter 1 and 2