Plan Your Courses with Lone Star College Pathways
At Lone Star College, every program of study (what we call majors) belongs to an Area of Study. Not sure which degree you want to pursue yet? Choose the Area(s) of Study that are the most interesting to you and explore the options for certificates or degree programs. Know which program you want to pursue? Use the Pathway Plan available in your myLoneStar account to make sure you plan and register for the right courses to complete your goal.
- For information about certificate and degree programs in each Area of Study, check out the Lone Star College Programs of Study offered at each campus.
- Click here to see which programs are offered at each LSC campus.
- Interested in completing an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science at LSC? Use these sample pathway plans to help you get started.
- Have questions regarding your plan? Contact Advising.
Areas of Study
Arts, Humanities, Communication & Design
Programs in this area prepare you for careers involving design, production, performance, and writing, many of which are based on creative design, video production, and web design. The Associate of Arts, Music, and Speech programs are also designed to transfer to a 4-year institution.
- Game Design & Simulation
- Speech Communication
- Visual Communications
Business & Professional Services
These programs prepare you for careers in management and administration in many types of businesses and organizations. The focus in this area of study lends to specific career training for leadership, finance, accounting, business, administrative services, & paralegal services. The Business program is also designed to transfer to a 4-year institution.
- Administrative Services
- Business Administration
- Paralegal Studies
Energy, Manufacturing & Construction
A variety of skilled trade programs in this area meet the overwhelming need for oil & gas, manufacturing, and construction careers. Programs in this Area of Study prepare you for technical, high demand careers as a technician, operator, manager, or supervisor in the energy, manufacturing, and construction industries.
- Architecture Design Technology
- Construction Supervision
- Electrical Technology
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC) & Refrigeration
- Land Surveying & Mapping Technology
- Mechanical Design Technology
- Petroleum Data Technology
- Welding Technology
Engineering, Mathematics & Sciences
All programs in this area prepare you for successful transfer to a university bachelor degree program for careers in engineering, biomedical engineering, medicine, math, and various laboratory settings. If your goal is med school or vet school, this Area of Study is the place to start.
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Focused on either human or animal medical care or technical research in the health industry, careers in this Area of Study lead to roles in large or small hospitals, lab facilities, veterinarian offices, and pharmaceutical companies.
- Dental Hygiene
- Emergency Medical Service Professional (EMT)
- Health Information Technology
- Pharmacy Management
- Physical Therapy Assistant
Information Technology and Computer Science
Training in the field of computer and digital technology is a fast-paced world of change and invention. Our programs prepare you for careers in the computer industry, like network/GIS technician, programmer, developer, analyst, or project manager in areas like application development, cybersecurity, networking, and programming. The Computer Science program is designed to transfer to a 4-year institution.
- Computer Programming Specialist
- Mobile/Web Application Development
- Network & Computer System Administrator
Public Safety & Human/Consumer Services
Careers in this area focus on public safety and essential consumer service careers. From the hospitality industry to serving the public as a firefighter, counselor or cosmetologist, this area of study prepares you for service-based professions.
- Fire Science Technology
- Interpreter Training Technology
- Massage Therapy
Social/Behavioral Sciences & Education
Programs in this area focus on developing people and strengthening your community. Education programs give you the first years of coursework toward a career as a teacher from working with kindergarteners up through high schoolers. Criminal justice programs provide the foundation to become a private investigator, correctional/probation officer, criminal justice data analyst, or more in the exciting field of criminal justice. These programs are primarily designed to transfer to a 4-year institution in preparation for a career in K-12 education or criminal justice.
- Associate of Arts in Teaching
- Criminal Justice
- Political Science
Transportation & Logistics
These programs will prepare you for careers involving transportation, supply chain, logistics, inventory, management, automotive and commercial flight.
- Automotive Service Technician
- Logistics Management
- Professional Pilot
Talk to an advisor if:
- You're a part-time student and don't see a plan for a program.
- You took college courses elsewhere. You may be able to substitute those for required courses at LSC.
- You want to transfer to a four-year school. You should make sure your elective choices will transfer where you want to go.
- You have any questions or need help. Advisors are here to support you!