Applicants to the program will be ranked according to their level of achievement of the program admission criteria and will be accepted into the program on a competitive basis.
Initial student ranking is based on the following criteria:
- Ten hours of completed coursework
- Number of general education courses completed from degree plan.
- GPA is based on all hours taken within the degree plan.
- Previous degree earned
- Experience as an aide to an occupational therapy practitioner (school aide, psychiatric technician, rehabilitation aide, etc.).
- Number of times course(s) in degree plan taken.
- Observation hours: non-paid time observing (job-shadow) with an occupational therapy practitioner (optional).
The top-ranking applicants, based on this initial information, will be invited for an interview. Interviewees will be notified by telephone or in writing of the time, date and location of the interview. In addition, interviewees will be required to complete a writing sample as well as a healthcare admissions exam at the time of interview. Upon completion of the interview, admissions examination, and writing samples, applicants will be re-ranked with the top applicants chosen to join the program.
Students are conditionally accepted into the program pending a clear criminal background check in order to complete the fieldwork rotations (clinical). Students are responsible for paying all fees and working with the background check company to clear up any reporting discrepancies. Students may also be asked to complete a drug screening at their own expense based on clinical site requirements.