(Aug. 6, 2013) – Lone Star College System is holding open house events at its campuses for the Academy for Lifelong Learning (ALL), a membership program geared toward adults 50-plus who want to stay plugged in to a learning environment.
ALL instruction includes more than 600 classes scheduled for this fall covering a vast array of interests: arts and crafts, gardening skills, photography techniques, health and wellness, technology, genealogy, Tai Chi, Yoga, literary discussion groups, and many more.
“Our classes are short-term, non-credit, and last anywhere from a few hours to several weeks,” said Pat Chandler, system program manager for ALL. “The courses, lectures, seminars or discussions are taught by professionals from the community, many who teach at our campuses, who are experienced in their chosen field or individuals who simply have interesting skills or hobbies they want share with others.”
A small annual membership fee of $20 (or $35 at LSC-Montgomery) includes all of the free classes a person wants to take, said Chandler.
The open house events, to be held the rest of this month and in September, will allow visitors to check out the classes scheduled and ask questions of staff members who will be on hand.
Upcoming open house dates are:
• Aug. 8 (Thursday), 2-4 p.m., LSC-Atascocita Center, Room AC201. Call 281-312-1750 for more information.
• Aug. 20 (Tuesday), 10 a.m.-noon, LSC-North Harris, Community Education Building. Call 281-765-7947 for more information.
• Aug. 22 (Thursday), 10:30 a.m.-noon, LSC-Victory Center. Call 281-765-7947 for more information.
• Aug. 24 (Saturday), 10 a.m.-noon, LSC-Tomball, Beckendorf Conference Center. Call 281-357-3676 for more information.
• Aug. 24 (Saturday), 11 a.m.-1 p.m., LSC-Montgomery, Building A (The Commons). Call 936-273-7446 for more information.
• Sept. 14 (Saturday), 9 a.m.-noon, LSC-CyFair, Conference Center. Call 281-290-3460 for more information.
Lone Star College System has been opening doors to a better community for 40 years. Founded in 1973, LSCS remains steadfast in its commitment to student success and credential completion. Today, with 78,000 students in credit classes, and a total enrollment of more than 90,000, Lone Star College System is the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area and the fastest-growing community college system in the nation. Dr. Richard Carpenter is the chancellor of LSCS, which consists of six colleges including LSC-CyFair, LSC-Kingwood, LSC-Montgomery, LSC-North Harris, LSC-Tomball and LSC-University Park, Lone Star Corporate College, and LSC-Online. To learn more visit LoneStar.edu.