Get tickets today for an entertaining musical about musicals evening on stage March 30 through April 8 at Lone Star College-CyFair.
“The Musical of Musicals (The Musical!)” is a satire of musical theatre featuring five distinctively different styles of delightful musicals from Rodgers and Hammerstein to Stephen Sondheim. Before moving to Off-Broadway, this show was the longest running in the New York Theatre Company's 35-year history and was a 2005 Drama Desk Award nominee in five categories.
“This show slays America’s most treasured musicals in a witty and hilarious fashion,” said Heidi Scanio, LSC-CyFair Center for the Arts coordinator. “Come join us for an evening of laughter.”
Eric Rockwell and Joanne Bogart’s story plot about an evil landlord threatening June who can’t pay rent with hopes of a handsome leading man to come to the rescue will be performed in five musical story variations.
The variations are:
- a Rodgers and Hammerstein version, set in Kansas in August, complete with a dream ballet;
- a Sondheim version, featuring the landlord as a tortured artistic genius who slashes the throats of his tenants in revenge for not appreciating his work;
- a Jerry Herman version, as a splashy star vehicle;
- an Andrew Lloyd Webber version, a rock musical with themes borrowed from Puccini;
- and a Kander and Ebb version, set in a speakeasy in Chicago.
Tickets are $10 for all performances, which are set for 7:30 p.m. in the Black Box Theatre located in the Center for the Arts building at 9191 Barker Cypress.