Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF)
Emergency Financial Aid Grants for Students
Lone Star College students may be eligible for Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds (HEERF). Funds were provided to higher education institutions through three different legislative acts: first the CARES Act passed in March 2020, then the CRRSAA passed in December 2020, and finally the ARP passed in March 2021. This aid is not a loan and does not have to be paid back.
- Students are only eligible for HEERF funds once per semester.
- Students are encouraged to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.FAFSA.ed.gov and enter Lone Star College's School Code of 011145.
- Students must be currently enrolled in a credit program or approved non-credit certificate program.
Requirements to Qualify
For Summer 2023, Lone Star College identified eligible students based on their enrollment on June 8, 2023. Lone Star College prioritized funds for students with exceptional need by identifying students who were awarded Federal Pell Grant funds based on the following credit hour enrollment scale:
- Students enrolled in 1-8 hours were awarded $200
- Students enrolled in 9-11 hours were awarded $300
- Students enrolled in 12 hours or more were awarded $450
Summer 2023 was the final term that Lone Star College awarded HEERF funds. Federal legislation authorizing HEERF funds required that funds be utilized by June 30, 2023. No additional awards may be made.
Please note that only 2022-2023 aid year uncashed HEERF refunds can be reissued. The current aid year for these purposes is Fall 2022, Spring 2023, and Summer 2023. We cannot reissue any refunds for previous terms or aid years.
Additional Information about HEERF
These funds may be used for any component of cost of attendance or for emergency costs that arise due to coronavirus, such as food, housing, health care (including mental health care) and childcare. Students that receive HEERF Student Aid Grants do not have to repay them.
Approved programs may be found on the Programs of Study Brochure.