What Is Study Abroad?
Study abroad is a program that allows students to take one or more classes in a country other than the United States for academic credit. Study abroad offers valuable opportunities to visit another country, experience another culture firsthand, build your cross-cultural skills, enhance your resume, immerse yourself in another language, challenge yourself in new ways, and make new friends.
Click Here To Learn More about Study Abroad Programs for 2024
Global Safety is a priority for all international travel. Click here to view information.
Join a Study Abroad Program
Please see the FAQ's and the Study Abroad Student Checklist for information. If you have more questions regarding a specfic program, please contact the instructor leading that program. For general questions, please email LSC-StudyAbroad@lonestar.edu.
To get started in the process of participating on a study abroad program:
1. Identify the programs that interest you. Consider your academic and career goals when choosing between locations and courses.
2. Speak with an academic advisor for guidance on selecting a program that fits into your academic plan.
3. Contact the professor in charge of the program of interest for information on space availability, program application process, and other questions about the program. Contact information can be found on the specific program pages.
4. Complete the program application, pay any application deposits, and fulfill any other program requirements. Each program may have a different application and requirements. If the program does not have their own application, use the general Study Abroad Student Program Application.
5. Make payments toward your program by the appropriate deadlines as specified by your study abroad program terms.
6. Apply for financial awards and scholarships, if qualified. Note: Receiving a scholarship is not required to join a study abroad program as long as the student is able to pay the appropriate costs. See the "Paying for a Study Abroad Program" section below for information about available funding.
7. Pay any remaining deposits or fees toward the program.
8. Register and pay for the study abroad course during registration.
Get the Facts
Paying For A Study Abroad Program
LSC has resources available to eligible students to help with the cost of study abroad. The application process is competitive with a limited number of scholarships available for students. Contact the faculty lead of the program.
Competitive scholarships are also available from outside sources. Check out the national Gilman Scholarship which offers need-based awards to eligible students. The Gilman-McCain Scholarship Program also offers competitive awards to child dependents of active duty service members.
Enrollment in a study abroad program approved for credit by your designated home campus may be considered enrollment for purposes of applying for federal student financial aid. For more information, contact your campus financial aid office.
Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs
If you are a LSC faculty member and are interested in creating or participating in a study abroad program, please consult our intranet page.