Hurricanes can cause catastrophic damage to coastlines and several hundreds of miles inland. Hurricanes and tropical storms also spawn tornadoes, create storm surges along the coast, and cause extensive damage from heavy rainfall. Hurricanes are classified into five categories based on their wind speed. Categories 3, 4, and 5 are considered major hurricanes, though Categories 1 and 2 are still dangerous and warrant your full attention.
A hurricane WATCH is issued by the National Weather Service about 36 hours prior to hurricane conditions threatening a coastal area.
A hurricane WARNING is issued when hurricane winds of 74 miles per hour or higher are expected within 24 hours in your area.
When a hurricane watch or warning is issued by the National Weather Service and a campus is threatened, you should:
•Listen for alerts and monitor video displays when on campus.
•Monitor local TV and radio stations (KTRH 740 AM and KUHF 88.7 FM) for emergency updates.
•Turn off utilities, if requested.
•Check the web at LoneStar.edu for updated information.
•Stay away from windows, doors and openings.
• Move away from low-lying areas, as requested by officials.
• Evacuate immediately, if advised.
During a Hurricane:
• Remain indoors in an interior hallway, bathroom or closet on the lowest level of the building away from windows.
• Seek shelter under something sturdy, such as a desk or table that can help protect you from possible debris.
After a Hurricane:
• Remain indoors, well away from windows on the lowest level of the building.
• Listen for campus alerts and monitor local TV and radio stations for updated information.
• Assess your surroundings, when it is safe to do so.
• Beware of unsafe food and water.
• Utilities could be off. Treat all downed power lines as live wires and do not approach. If you smell gas, leave the area immediately and then contact X5911.
• Inform family members of your location, condition, and how you can be reached. Please keep telephone lines free to emergency use.
• Check the web at LoneStar.edu for updated information.