Meet the HSO Officers
Teresa Wells, President
Major: Computer Science
Hometown: Humble, TX
- Why did you join this organization? It was recommended to me by my philosophy professor.
- That are your personal goals for the semester? I want to get A's in all my classes. I also want to get my remaining service hours so I can graduate with honors.
- What are your goals for the organization? I want to make it as active as possible before I graduate. I also want my officer team to be well-composed.
- What are your career interests? I am considering web development and computer security.
- What are your hobbies outside of school? Reading, gaming, programming, drawing, and swimming.
I was born to a family of 7 and was homeschooled from K-12. I cam to Lone Star to study business, but decided it wasn't the subject I was passionate about. I was vice president of HSO last year and learned a lot. I want to pass on what I've learned before moving on.
"Honors and HSO aren't just for nerds. It's for anyone interested in and passionate about learning. We like to do a lot and the more people we have to share that with, the better!" -Teresa Wells
Magdalena Crofts, Vice President
Major: Chemical Engineering
- Why did you join this organization? I joined the HSO because I saw it as a great opportunity to get involved and meet other students.
- That are your personal goals for the semester? This semester I hope to keep my grades up, stay involved, and prepare for my future by learning more about my career choice.
- What are your goals for the organization? This semester I want to provide more opportunities for service hours and get our members more excited and involved with our events as well as with the campus-wide events.
- What are your career interests? I plan to become a chemical engineer.
- What are your hobbies outside of school? I am a people person, so I love meeting new people. I love to sing and dance as well. Running keeps me motivated and focused.
I am the second of 8 children. I was born and raised in Texas. Most of my schooling was done through homeschooling. Although I love Texas, I have always dreamed of traveling the world.
"The HSO is a great opportunity to meet other students with similar goals and interests, earn service hours, and just have fun! If any of those things interest you, come check us out! :)" -Magdalena Crofts
Viviana Mendoza, Treasurer
Hometown: New Caney, TX
- Why did you join this organization? I joined because the fellowship provided in this organization is wonderful. The students involved are wonderful to chat with and work with when participating in service projects.
- That are your personal goals for the semester? I would like to meet new people, recieve high marks in all my classes, and simply have fun!
- What are your goals for the organization? Getting more people interested in the Honors courses offered on this campus is my main objective. It's a different style of teaching and is a great way to learn.
- What are your career interests? I aspire to become an English teacher and travel to Japan to teach English there.
- What are your hobbies outside of school? Some of my hobbies include reading novels and manga, writing, playing video games, and looking up random words from the English language in another language. Japanese has been the most recent language. I also enjoy watching anime and shows that air on BBC, such as Doctor Who. When I am not doing any of those, I find entertainment in spending time with my sisters.
The ever so vivacious and veracious (and at times, vain) Viviana keeps herself busy with serveral club activities, classes, work, friends, and blogging. She loves spending time with people, but every so often, she does need some time to herslef to focus on her studies. She enjoys learning new things, especially languages. She is fluent in English, can hold a decent conversation in Spanish, and is learning Japanese while teaching herself American Sign Language.
"If you ever see me around campus, don't be afraid to approach me. It's always a fantastic opportunity when I am able to meet new people!" -Viviana Mendoza
Mustafa Saleem, SGA Representive
Major: Chemical Engineering
Hometown: Houston, TX
- Why did you join this organization? To get involved in college life.
- That are your personal goals for the semester? To get all A's in my classes and transfer to UH.
- What are your goals for the organization? I intend to make everyone know of our organization because a lot of people do not know abou tit.
- What are your career interests? I want to be a chemical engineer.
- What are your hobbies outside of school? I love playing basketball and watching TV.
I graduated from Karachi Grammar School in Pakistan and moved to Kingwood in 2011. Currently I am taking classes at Lone Star-Kingwood but by next semester, I plan to be at UH pursuing my undergraduate degree program.
"I think I am very lucky to be a part of HSO. If anyone has the chance, they should definitely join it!" -Mustafa Saleem