Campus Wide E-mail Guidelines
Only requests made by Recognized Student Organizations, Faculty or Department sponsored events can be sent out. Messages should not be sent out unless they contain the following information:
- Date of Event
- Time of Event
- Location of Event (include which campus)
- Contact person(s) name, and contact information of phone number or email address
All messages must be germane to a significant portion of the target list members. Example: Student Sundae Night in the Commons would not necessitate the use of the all employee list. Emails should be sent only one time. Please remember to spell check your message.
Messages should be no larger than 50K in size, which includes any attachments to the message. If you find your message is too large to send, put your information on a web site and send the URL instead of the entire message.
Messages of a personal or commercial nature.
- Emergency notices, including class cancellations, weather advisories, and other urgent messages of general concern
- Notification of campus network or other computer related events, including service outages, campus closures, and policy changes
- Late cancellation of major campus wide events such as commencement or special forums
- Special initiatives, programs, and/or events sponsored by the College, including those in partnership with other campus or community organizations
- New regulations, policies and procedures of campus-wide importance
- Campus Safety Alerts
- Physical Plant Alerts
- Health and environmental safety information
- Messages considered of primary importance by LSC-CyFair
Message delivery expectations
Because of the huge increase in the volume of e-mail being sent to the campus e-mail distribution lists, and the workload increase associated with our staff members who approve and send these messages, If you would like College Relations to send an e-mail on your behalf, please allow at least four full business days for your message to be reviewed and delivered. E-mails must be written exactly as you want them sent. The Office of College Relations is not responsible for editing content. E-mails will be sent only once.
Alternatives to campus wide-emails
Week at a glance internal email sent every Monday morning
Bi-weekly internal newsletter
College maintained Facebook & MySpace pages
Examples of announcements that should utilize these alternatives:
- Events in the Center for the Arts
- Student Activities Events