Summer Institute for African American and Hispanic Men
In an effort to expose African American and Hispanic young men ages 13-15, to life after high school, Lone Star College at Kingwood has created an intensive week long outreach program. The program is the African American Institute for Males (AAIM) and the Hispanic Institute for Males (HIM) will take place on Monday, June 19 – Thursday, 22, 2017. Please submit your application by, Friday, May 26, 2017. (There is no cost to participate in the program.)
- June 19th - June 22, 2017
Summer 2017 AAIM & HIM Schedule
Monday June 19th
|9:30-10:30am||What I Wish I’d Known Before I Went to College||SCC|
|10:45-11:30am||Over Coming Challenges||SCC|
|12:30-1:30pm||Am I My Brother’s Keeper||SCC|
|1:45-2:30pm||College Prep 101 What You Need to Know as You Make Plans to Go!||SCC|
|2:30-3:30 pm||Recreational Activity: Basketball, Dodgeball, Board Games||FTC|
Tuesday June 20th
|Time||Field Trip Day||Location|
|8:00 -8:30pm||Students Check-In||SCC|
|9:30 -10:00am||University of Houston - Center for Mexican American Studies||Houston, TX|
|10:00-10:30am||University of Houston - Center for African American Studies||Houston, TX|
|11:00-12:00pm||University of Houston Campus Tour||Houston, TX|
|12:15-1:00pm||University of Houston Lunch||Houston, TX|
|1:30-2:30pm||Buffalo Soldiers Museum||Houston, TX|
|2:45-3:30pm||Return to Campus||SCC|
Wednesday June 21st
|9:45-10:45pm||Race and Crime||SCC|
|10:45-11:30am||Getting Engaged in Your Community||SCC|
|2:45-3:30pm||Committed to Your Community||SCC|
Thursday June 22nd
|11:00 am||Graduation Check-In||MUS 101|
The LSC-Kingwood Men's Center is a center that facilitates comprehensive support services, mentoring and educational programs to increase male academic achievement, campus involvement and enrollment. Essentially, the Men's Center will cultivate mentoring services, leadership opportunities and community building activities within and outside of the college.
The LSC Kingwood Men's Center seeks to recruit, engage and equip male students with essential life and social skills necessary to begin and complete their degree, license or certification plan. We are committed to the enhancement of a positive LSC-Kingwood experience for current male students and to providing enrichment learning opportunities to future male students from surrounding school districts.
- Implement programming that addresses their socioeconomic and cultural diversity needs to adequately adapt to the academic demands of LSC.
- To enrich the experience of the entire student body and community by providing opportunities to engage and educate the campus as a whole on issues related to men.
- Strengthen our community and build partnerships with local organizations such as local school districts, businesses, and non-profit organizations to ensure a positive experience for those from historically under-represented backgrounds
- Facilitate educational programming such as the African-American and Hispanic Summer Institute for Males, a Financial Literacy Program, Youth Mentoring (District Collaborative) , Men's Leadership Forum/Symposium and Youth Leadership Camps
- Establish a comprehensive mentoring program for all first-year male students, starting primarily with male student are from under-represented backgrounds
- Identify, develop and provide male student leaders opportunities to demonstrate cultural competence and service in a diverse and multicultural society.
Men's Center Fall Hours
- Monday-Friday: 8am-4:30pm