Tax season is right around the corner and there is help preparing tax returns available at Lone Star College-CyFair Feb. 3 – April 14.
Providing free tax preparation assistance to seniors and low- to middle- income individuals on a first-come, first-served basis in the library, room 131, will be both AARP volunteers and LSC-CyFair students in Shawn Miller’s accounting class.
LSC-CyFair future accountants will be available 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays (instructors will review each return for accuracy prior to completion) and AARP volunteers will be available noon to 4 p.m. Wednesdays or 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Thursdays.
Utilizing Turbo Tax and/or other tax preparation software, students are getting hands-on experience while earning a grade and credit toward a Service Learning credit on their transcripts.
“Assisting others with tax preparation helps students put into practice the theories they have learned in the classroom,” said Miller. “Students will also learn the soft skills of tax preparation, which includes areas such as communication with a client and communication with the IRS.”
In addition, the clients will learn how to complete their tax return, which may lead to them being able to file without assistance in future years, said Miller.
Please bring the following items to prepare your taxes:
- Copy of last year’s income tax return(s)
- Social Security cards for all adults and dependents
- W-2 forms from each employer
- W-2G for gambling winnings
- Unemployment compensation statements on 1099-G
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits
- All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B) showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing original purchase price and purchase date of sold assets
- 1099-misc showing any miscellaneous income
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity
- All forms indicating federal income tax paid
- Dependent care provider information (name, address, and Employer Identification Number (EIN) or provider’s Social Security Number)
- All receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions
NOTE: Taxes may be filed electronically