Learning new skills or even brushing up on old knowledge does not have to end at a certain age. Adults age 50-plus are invited to attend open house events for the Academy for Lifelong Learning (ALL) at Lone Star College to rediscover the joy that comes from learning.
Active adults will find more than 600 classes this fall, covering a wide-range of subjects including arts and crafts, gardening skills, photography techniques, health and wellness, technology, genealogy, Tai Chi, Yoga, literary discussion groups, history, and many more.
“The Academy for Lifelong Learning is a wonderful place for adults who are interested in expanding their knowledge in all sorts of subjects with others who share that interest,” said Pat Chandler, system program manager for ALL. “There is a wide range of classes taught by residents in the community, many who teach at Lone Star College campuses. These classes are short-term, non-credit and last anywhere from a few hours to several weeks.”
The open house events will take place over the next two months and allow visitors to check out classes scheduled and ask questions of staff members who will be on hand.
Upcoming open house dates are:
· Aug. 6 (Thursday), 10 a.m.-11 a.m., LSC-University Park,Location TBD, 20515 SH 249, Houston. Call 281-401-1868 for more information.
· Aug. 11 (Tuesday), 1-3 p.m., LSC-Kingwood, EMCID Center off-site, 21575 Highway 59N, New Caney. Call 281-312-1750 for more information.
· Aug. 11 (Tuesday), 1-3 p.m., LSC-Victory Center,4141 Victory Drive, Houston. Call 281-765-7947 for more information.
· Aug. 14 (Friday), 10 a.m.-noon, LSC-Tomball, Beckendorf Conference Center, 30555
· Aug. 15 (Saturday), 11 a.m.-1 p.m., LSC-Montgomery, Building B-150 Atrium, 3200 College Park Drive, Conroe. Call 936-273-7446 for more information.
· Aug. 17 (Monday), 2-4 p.m., LSC-Atascocita Center, Room AC201, 15903 West Lake Houston Parkway, Houston. Call 281-312-1750 for more information.
· Aug. 21 (Friday), 10 a.m.-noon, LSC-North Harris,Community Education Building, 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive, Houston. Call 281-765-7947 for more information.
· Sept. 19 (Saturday), 10 a.m.-noon, LSC-CyFair, Conference Center, 9191 Barker Cypress Road, Cypress. Call 281-290-3460 for more information.
“A small annual membership fee of $20 ($35 at LSC-Montgomery) includes all of the free classes a person wants to take,” said Chandler. Aglobal membership which includes all six campuses is also available for only $55. Interested adults can visit LoneStar.edu/ALL to learn more.
Active adults 50-plus are invited to attend the Academy for Lifelong Learning open houses at Lone Star College.
Lone Star College has been opening doors to a better community for more than 40 years. Founded in 1973, LSC remains steadfast in its commitment to student success and credential completion. Today, with almost 83,000 students in credit classes, and a total enrollment of more than 95,000, Lone Star College is the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area and one of the fastest-growing community colleges in the nation. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., is the chancellor of LSC, which consists of six colleges including LSC-CyFair, LSC-Kingwood, LSC-Montgomery, LSC-North Harris, LSC-Tomball and LSC-University Park, seven centers, LSC-University Center at Montgomery, LSC-University Center at University Park, Lone Star Corporate College, and LSC-Online.