Mandatory F-1 Student Health Insurance: F-1 students on a LSC I-20
Lone Star College (LSC) requires that all F-1 visa international students, with a Lone Star College (LSC) issued I-20, maintain health insurance coverage as a condition of enrollment. To avoid registration delays, F-1 students on a LSC I-20 should see the SHIP webpage and the FAQ below for more information on how to meet the requirement.
F-1 Student Health Insurance Requirement FAQs (PDF)
Medical Insurance Requirement Exemption
The following groups are exempt from purchasing the insurance but must provide supporting documentation:
- Concurrently Enrolled (Co-Enrolled) F-1 Students
F-1 students with a Form I-20 from another college and are taking some of their classes at Lone Star College on a visiting basis (concurrent enrollment/co-enrolled) must submit the following documentation to the International Student Advisor/DSO at the campus where their classes are located. This documentation is required each semester the student wishes to enroll before they will be allowed to register for classes:
- Copy of Form I-20
- Letter from their DSO indicating good immigration standing and number of credits they are allowed to take at LSC for the current semester
- Copy of passport
- Students Pending a Change of Status (COS) to F-1
Students who are pending a Change of Status to F-1 from another visa type must submit the following documentation to the International Student Advisor/DSO who issued their Form I-20. This documentation is required each semester the student wishes to enroll before they will be allowed to register for classes:
- Copy of USCIS I-797C Notice of Action
- Dated case status printout from the USCIS website showing the pending case.