International Programs & Services | International Students | Accepted/Current F-1 Visa International Students |

Frequently Asked Questions

Freqently Asked Questions

How do I enroll at one of the Lone Star College System colleges?

Enrollment involves three processes: admission, advisement and course enrollment. Once you have decided on a program and campus, contact the International Student Advisor at that college and request an admissions application. Once accepted, you will receive a welcome packet containing a SEVIS I-20 form, which you will use to obtain your student visa at a local U.S. embassy or consulate. These details are outlined thoroughly in the New Students section of this Web site. 

Can I FAX or send photocopies of my application materials (bank statement, transcripts, etc.)?

Yes, prospective international students may fax or send photocopies of application materials. Original documents should be kept and presented when applying to the U.S. embassy or consulate.

When are the deadlines to apply for admission?

New Students:  Your application and required documentation must be on file in the admissions office by
          the following dates:

  • July 1st - Fall Semester
  • November 1st - Spring Semester
  • April 1st - Summer Semester

U.S. Based Transfer Students:  Please submit transfer forms and all required documentation to the
         admissions office in a timely manner in order to process your application.

Is financial aid available for international students?

No, international students should be prepared to pay all expenses, both educational and living.  View the tuition page for an estimate cost for one academic year.  >>More

When do I pay for my tuition and fees?

Payment is due before the first day of class.  More information about due dates and payment plans is available online. >>More

Does Lone Star College System have on-campus housing?

No, we do not have on-campus housing.

Must I take the Lone Star College System placement test?

Yes, placement testing is required and ensures that you will be enrolled in appropriate classes according to your abilities in English and math.  All Lone Star College System students are subject to the academic requirements of the State of Texas and Lone Star College System.

Can I transfer credit from a foreign college or university?

Yes, degree-seeking students who have college or university credits outside the U.S. and wish to transfer their credits to Lone Star College System must submit a course-by-course evaluation. Ask your International Student Advisor for a list of approved evaluation services.

How many classes must I take?

An F-1 international student must enroll in and maintain a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester as required by USCIS rules and regulations.

Some Lone Star College System programs (nursing, veterinary technology, etc.) have special enrollment requirements.

How can I enter these special programs?

Entrance into these programs is competitive, and they have a separate application and admission process for each program. Acceptance at a Lone Star College System college does not guarantee acceptance into one of these programs. In most cases, you will need to complete your English and other academic prerequisites before applying to one of these specialized programs. For more information, contact your International Student Advisor.

May I work if I am an F-1 student?

USCIS allows international students to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week. However, the number of available positions is extremely limited.

Do I need a Social Security card to work on campus?

Yes.  U.S. Social Security numbers are approved for people who are authorized to work in the United States. These numbers are used to report your wages to the U.S. government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits.  If you are temporarily in the United States to attend college, with a non-immigrant F-1 student classification without an on-campus work authorization, you cannot apply for U.S. Social Security. The Social Security Administration will not assign you a number just to enroll in college or school. Please talk to your International Student Advisor before applying for social security.



preload menu background image