English Proficiency Requirement
Proof of sufficient English proficiency is required to ensure that prospective students can benefit from Lone Star College courses. All applicants, including those who plan to take English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes, must submit one of the items below. During the COVID-19 situation, students who are unable to submit English Proficiency test scores due to testing being unavailable are exempt from this requirement:
- Diploma from an accredited U.S. High School or a degree from a U.S. College or University.
- Proof of successful completion of a college-level writing course (not ESOL) from an accredited U.S. college or university.
- Proof of successful completion of high school or higher education from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction. Upon arrival, students will be required to take placement testing to determine eligibility for admission into college-transfer courses. Students who do not meet the minimum scores will be required to take developmental English and/or ESOL courses.
- Are from countries where English is the official language
- Minimum scores on one of the following English language tests. Scores are valid for two years:
- Composite scores: TOEFL 347; TOEFL IBT 19, IELTS 2, TOEIC 255, Duolingo 50
- Score per section (Reading, Language Use, Sentence Meaning, and Listening sections required): ACCUPLACER ESL 46
- Admitted students may be required to assess for placement in the intensive English language program (ESOL program) or developmental English classes upon arrival depending on their test scores.
- Minimum scores on one of the following standardized college tests. Scores are valid for five years:
- SAT Evidenced-Based Reading & Writing (EBRW) Score: 480 (tests taken on/after March 5, 2016)
- SAT Reading/Writing Score: 500 Verbal/Critical Reading with 1070 composite (tests taken prior to March 5, 2016)
- ACT Reading/Writing Score: 23 composite with minimum 19 in English
The following scores allow students to take the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) test to determine eligibility for admission into college-transfer courses. Scores are valid for two years:
- Composite Scores: TOEFL paper 530; TOEFL IBT 71; TOEIC 700; IELTS 6.0 or Duolingo 100
- Score per section (Reading, Language Use, Sentence Meaning, and Listening sections required): ACCUPLACER ESL 120
Students who have recently taken approved college assessment tests (ACT, SAT, STAAR, TAKS, TAAS) may be exempt from may be exempt from all, or part of, the TSI Assessment. See www.lonestar.edu/placement-testing-info.htm for more information.