× LoneStarCollegeALERT:

Transportation - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Does the System purchase insurance to cover me when I drive on System-related business?

The LSCS purchases coverage for third-party bodily injury and property damage liability, including collision and comprehensive physical damage insurance (applicable vehicles), for vehicles it owns and leases.  The liability coverage will provide defense (legal costs) and indemnity (damages that are assessed against you) if you were engaged in travel that is directly related to your LSCS duties.

The same policy provides third-party bodily injury and property damage liability coverage for vehicles rented by LSCS employees to conduct LSCS business. The LSCS’s automobile insurance provides liability coverage for rental vehicles, but only when the rental vehicle is used for business and is driven by an authorized driven per the rental agreement.  The LSCS’s coverage includes collision and comprehensive physical damage coverage.  LSCS employees are required to use State contracted rental vehicles to ensure the lowest rates and the proper insurance coverage.  Please see the State Travel Management Program (STMP) and LSCS Rental Car Information.

When an employee is driving his or her own vehicle on LSCS business, the LSCS’s automobile insurance provides additional liability protection, which is excess of the liability limit of the employee’s personal insurance policy. The LSCS policy does not provide physical damage insurance for employee owned vehicles.

What do I do to ensure that I am covered under the LSCS’s policy when I rent a vehicle for business travel?

LSCS employees occasionally must lease vehicles, for a trip from the college or while traveling on college business.  In order to ensure that your rent car or van is covered under the LSCS’s insurance policy, LSCS employees are required to use State contracted rental vehicles. Please see the State Travel Management Program (STMP) and LSCS Rental Car Information.

Can I use my personal vehicle to transport students for college-related activities?

LSCS faculty and staff are encouraged not to transport students in their personal vehicles or to organize student carpooling for travel to off-campus locations. 

Should private student vehicles be used for student travel, the following shall apply:

a.  LSCS students are not covered by LSCS vehicle insurance and cannot be LSCS approved drivers. If adult students (18 years or older) choose to drive their own private vehicle or if adult students (18 years or older) choose to ride with another adult student (18 years or older), those are personal choices.
b.  A LSCS employee must not arrange for students to drive other students.
c. All adult student driver(s) (18 years or older) must sign a Student Travel Waiver OGC-S-2013-02.
d. Private student vehicle accident(s) will be covered by the student's liability/physical damage insurance policy.

Can I use a van to transport students around?

Yes, you can rent 12 passenger vans subject to receiving approval.  All vehicle rentals need to be pre-approved by the Location Executive Officer (LEO) for your location.  Please see the State Travel Management Program (STMP) and LSCS Rental Vehicle Information.

Will the LSCS insure students who drive other students for college-related activities or classes?

The automobile policy of the LSCS does not extend to student-owned vehicles, even if used to transport students or others to a college or LSCS sponsored event.  No LSCS employee should arrange carpools or direct students to ride in another student’s car for an event.  If car-pooling is necessary, students should sign an OGC-S-2010-09 Participant Release and Indemnification Agreement, so they are aware that the LSCS is released of liability for the transportation of students.

What do I do if a student goes on a bus trip, but wants to travel independently of the group, i.e., meet their family member instead of returning with the group?

The student should sign a release to travel independently, OGC-S-2010-10 Time Away Form, of the group.

What do I do if I am involved in an automobile accident on LSCS related business? (loss involving owned, leased or rented vehicles)

1.    Report any vehicle accident immediately to the campus Vice President of Administrative Services and campus police including sufficient details for the preparation of the Vehicle Loss Report form (ORM-CLM-2014-03).

2.    LSCS Employee Driver is to complete the Vehicle Loss Report Form (ORM-CLM-2014-03) immediately (no later than twenty-four (24) hours after the accident). The Vehicle Loss Report form should be submitted with as much available information as possible (including essential additional details and comments not specifically requested on the form).

3.  Accident Reporting - What Do I Do?

  1. Keep Calm;
  2. Stop Immediately.  No matter how minor an accident may be, the failure to stop can result in serious criminal consequences. If possible, stop your vehicle at the point nearest the accident scene without obstructing traffic more than necessary;
  3. Do A Health Check. In the event of a car accident, the first you thing you should do is ask if everyone is okay. If anyone seems groggy or unsure of his or her response, call 9-1-1. Many injuries can't be seen, and the shock of a car accident can delay symptoms. To ensure the health of everyone involved, it's better to be safe than sorry;
  4. Render first aid to any injured persons, if possible;
  5. Turn ignition off and evacuate vehicle;
  6. Call for medical assistance or ambulance if required. Emergency 911;
  9. Call local, municipal or county police, or Texas Highway Patrol to report accident. Emergency 911;
  10. Do not leave the scene of the accident;
  11. Get names, phone numbers and addresses of other drivers, passengers, witnesses and injured persons;
  12. Get the insurance information on all vehicles involved in the accident.  Retrieve this information directly from the vehicle insurance identification card;
  13. Give the other driver your name and insurance information located on your vehicle insurance identification card;
  15. Within 24 hours, completed a Vehicle Loss Report #ORM-CLM-2014-03;
  16. Contact the LSCS Office of Risk Management immediately by email ORMClaims@LoneStar.edu or by phone 832-813-6896 if the accident involves:

a.   another car with people in it (even though no one was hurt); or
b.   a pedestrian; or
c.   any personal injury, or extensive property damage;    

    17.  If employed by the LSCS and travel is related to official work-related business, any injury is to be filed under worker’s compensation insurance.  Please contact your immediate supervisor to process a workers’ compensation claim. DO NOT provide personal medical insurance information unless it is absolutely necessary to receive medical treatment. 

You should contact your campus Vice President of Administrative Services, campus police and the LSCS’s Office of Risk Management to begin the investigation and processing of your claim. You should also, to be safe, place your own carrier on notice of the claim.  You will need to provide to the system information about the accident and injuries, including names, telephone numbers, business activity, documentation of the business-related purpose, and information about witnesses and others present at the accident.

If you are injured and require medical care, you must immediately notify your immediate supervisor to file a workers’ compensation claim.

What do I do if an emergency occurs while I am conducting an out-of-town academic trip, and I am unable to reach either my divisional contacts and/or other authorized campus personnel?

Travel procedures require that specific trip documents be sent to the ORM fourteen (14) business days prior to traveling.  The ORM will post these document to the intranet to be accessible by the LSCS Police Dispatch.  In the event of an emergency, during weekends or off hours, if you are unable to reach your campus contacts, please call the LSCS Police Dispatch at 281-290-5911, who will refer your call to the appropriate emergency contact.   

Is there anything I should do if I am responsible for a trip outside the U.S. and must lease a vehicle for me to drive?

You must be a LSCS authorized and approved driver.  For additional requirements please contact the Office of Risk Management.

Make LSC part of your story.