Hazlewood Act


Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)

Benefits Answers

Where can I find out more information about the
Post 911 GI Bill ®, the Montgomery GI Bill ® or
Veteran Readiness and Employment Program Benefits?

For additional information on VA Education Benefits for all chapters, visit the Veteran Services website.  You may also contact your campus liaison.

What VA educational programs are available?

  • Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill ® – Active Duty (MGIB)
  • Chapter 31 - Veteran Readiness and Employment
  • Chapter 33 – Post 911 GI Bill ®
  • Chapter 35 - Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA)
  • Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill ® – Selected Reserve

How do I apply for VA Education Benefits?

Please visit the GI Bill Website.

This link will take you to the VONAPP (Veterans Online Application) where you will apply for the following benefits. Please note the forms vary depending on the benefit you are applying for.

For Veterans wanting to use Chapters 30, 33 or 1606 fill out the VA Form 22-1990

For Survivors and Dependents Chapter 35, fill out the VA Form 22-5490

Transfer of Entitlement (Chapter 33 Post 9-11) fill out VA Form 22-1990e

For Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment fill out VA Form 28-1900

What are the current VA payment rates?

A listing of Education Benefit Payment Rates can be found on the VA website's Rate Tables.

Back to Top

Certification Answers

Do I need to fill out the Request for Certification form each semester?

Yes. You must complete a Request for Certification form for each semester you wish to use your VA education benefits. This form lets our Certifying Officials know you want to use your benefits and for which classes. Remember, you cannot be certified for a class if it is not required for your degree.

Can I turn in my request for certification form after the priority due date?

Yes, you can; however, there are some common problems that can occur when you turn in a request form after the deadline. For example:

  1. In the event that a class is not certifiable; depending on when the paperwork is turned in, it may no longer be an option to change or adjust schedules, resulting in unpaid tuition (Chapters 31 and 33) and a reduction in monthly benefit payments.
  2. Being dropped from classes for non-payment because of processing delays.
  3. Payment delays may be in excess of 6-8 weeks for monthly stipends and book stipends.
  4. Parent Institution letters may be delayed during peak registration.

What classes can I have certified?

You may request to have any class certified that fits your degree plan with Lone Star College. Please consult with your campus liaison/advisor, if you have questions.

Can I take classes that do not fit my degree plan?

There are certain circumstances when electives are not eligible for certification. If you ever have questions about whether a class will fit your degree plan or if it can be certified please contact your campus VA liaison.

Am I required to notify Lone Star College Veteran Services of changes in my schedule?

Absolutely!  Failure to notify the Veteran Services may result in either an overpayment or underpayment. Timely reporting of changes is key to avoiding debts to the VA. The sooner we are able to notify the VA of your schedule changes, the sooner they are able to adjust your benefit payments. To report changes, please complete the Change of Enrollment request form, which is located under the Forms section of our website.

Can I attend two schools simultaneously and still use my benefits?

Yes! A student may take courses at more than one school that apply to his or her degree. The school that will grant the degree is the student’s “primary” school. All other schools are “secondary” schools.

What is a Parent Institution Letter?

Parent Institution Letters (PIL) are letters that are sent from a primary school to a secondary school authorizing the secondary school to certify classes the student is taking. Classes at the secondary school must fit the degree plan of the primary school or they cannot be certified. The PIL must be sent directly to the Veteran Services.

Who is responsible for payment of tuition and fees?

Students must pay tuition and fees by the payment deadline each term, unless tuition and fees are being paid for by Chapter 33 Post 9/11, Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment, Tuition Assistance and Financial Aid or Hazlewood exemption.

I have already graduated, but I still have VA education benefits left. Can I pursue a second degree?

Absolutely! For more information on the different programs your VA education benefits will cover, go to the GI Bill Website. You may also email, call, stop by and chat with your VA Campus Liaison.

Back to Top

Hazlewood Act Answers

Can I use the Hazlewood Exemption and VA benefit at the same time?

Yes, with the exception of Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill ®) at the 100% eligibility level or with Chapter 31 (Veteran Readiness and Employment). If you are eligible for both the Hazlewood exemption and VA education benefits under Chapters 30, 35,1606 you may use both benefits at the same time. If you have Chapter 33 benefits at less than the 100% level, you may also use the Hazlewood exemption. For more information on the Hazlewood Act, visit the Hazlewood Act Website.

How does the exemption work?

The Hazlewood Act is an exemption from the payment of tuition and most fees. There is no money changing hands with this benefit. The institution the student attends absorbs the cost of tuition and some fees for the student.

Which charges are covered?

The Hazlewood Act exempts qualified students taking classes at public institutions of higher education in Texas from tuition and most fee charges.

How do I know if I qualify?

You may qualify if…

  • You are a Texas resident
  • You either designated Texas as your Home of Record or entered the service in Texas
  • Have at least 181 days of active military duty (sum of 12c and 12d on DD-214)
  • Received an honorable discharge or separation or a general discharge under honorable conditions
  • Have no federal veteran’s education benefits that exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits
  • Are not in default on student loans

How can I check how many Hazlewood Act hours I have previously used?

For your convenience, we have placed a link for the Hazlewood Act Student Hours website on our Forms page. You may also reach the sign-on page via the Hazlewood Student Hours Website .

Back to Top

Miscellaneous Answers

Can I receive credit for my military training?

In order to receive college credit from military training you must submit a copy of your official military transcript, and request for an official evaluation to your campus VA liaison.

How do I receive credit for my Physical Education requirement?

In order to receive credit for your Physical Education requirement, please see your campus liaison to fill out and submit a Prior Learning Assessment form, along with a copy of your DD-214. 

What is Round out?

When a student is completing their degree they can round out up to full time. Courses can be taken that are not required for the degree or courses that have been completed may be retaken to improve grade. Round out can be used one time per degree.

Will the VA cover the cost of repeating a course for the 3rd time?

When a student repeats a course for a 3rd time the student will incur a $60 charge 1 credit hour ($180 for 3 credit hour courses) this charge cannot be billed to the VA and student will be responsible for the charges.

Back to Top

PLA Answers

What is Prior Learning Assessment?

Gives students an opportunity to petition course credit for experiential learning, non-credit course completion, professional development, and licensure/certification and challenge exams.

Who is eligible for PLA?

  • The student must have an Active Program Status, meaning currently accepted admission to Lone Star.
  • Provide official documentation of prior learning experience (transcripts, licensure/certification, etc.).
  • If applicable, meet eligibility requirements specific to the assessment option.

How does my veteran status affect PLA?

Student receiving benefits from Veterans Affairs (VA) must comply with VA rules and regulations. To avoid overpayment, all transcripts must be evaluated and credit(s) applied prior to certification of courses for benefits. Students are highly encouraged to have their military transcript evaluated prior to registering for classes.

How do I know what is available for PLA at Lone Star?

Where do I submit the application?

  • The PLA application is submitted to your campus advisor. They will forward your application to the team for review.

What do I need to submit for PLA?

  • Transcripts (schools and military), licensure/certification, DD214
  • PLA application 

How will I be notified of approval or denial?

  • If your credits are approved or denied, your advisor will notify you.

Are there credits ineligible for PLA?

Students cannot request prior learning assessment for courses attempted or previously taken.

  • Attempted – Course appears on LSC or transferring institution transcript as withdrawn (W) or incomplete (I).
  • Previously Taken – Course appears on LSC or transferring institution transcript with a grade.

How much credit can I earn?

  • PLA credit may not exceed 75% of a student’s certificate or associate degree coursework.
  • Credit earned through PLA cannot be removed from a student’s record or transcript once it has been awarded.

Can I still request PLA if I do not see my area certification/licensure?

  • Yes, your information will go through the PLA process however, this will take more time to complete.

I would like to suggest an area for review, what should I do?

  • If you have suggestions for military experience or learning to be reviewed, submit an email to:

Will the credit transfer?

  • Other academic institutions are not obligated to accept credit earned through Lone Star College PLA. It is the student’s responsibility to check with the transfer institution before pursuing the assessment process.

Back to Top



Make LSC part of your story.