ESOL Reading 5
ESOL 0365 / ENGLC 3000501 ESOL Reading V
Course Description: This course continues the instruction and reinforcement of English-language students’ reading efficiency with a focus on higher-level skills required for college reading assignments. Writing is required to complement reading activities. This course develops English reading proficiency and vocabulary for academic, career, or personal purposes in speakers of languages other than English and prepares them to function in a multicultural, multilingual society. This course carries institutional credit but will not transfer and will not be used to meet degree requirements. Prerequisite: ESOL 0364 or placement by exam.
Learning Outcomes Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Comprehend and summarize texts, including the identification of main idea, supporting details, audience, and purpose of text.
2. Interpret and critically analyze author’s bias, purpose, and perspective in academic materials.
3. Make inferences and draw conclusions from a variety of college level texts.
4. Respond critically, orally and in writing, to various kinds of college level texts.
5. Understand and use academic vocabulary and linguistically complex structures across a variety of disciplines and genres.
6. Demonstrate knowledge of cultural and historical references to American society in written materials.