ESOL Grammar 4
ESOL 0394 / ENGLC 3000801 ESOL Grammar IV
Course Description: Students continue the study of grammatical structures required for quality oral and written academic communication. They develop skills in understanding form, meaning and usage of complex grammatical structures including gerunds and infinitives, conditionals and complex sentences with noun, adjective and adverb clauses. Prerequisite ESOL 0393 or placement by exam.
Learning Outcomes Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Discriminate between the use of the past perfect, past progressive, and past perfect progressive tenses.
2. Use modal auxiliaries in present, past, and progressive tenses and passive voice.
3. Identify and use verbals: participles, gerunds and infinitives.
4. Identify and use causative verbs.
5. Express complex relationship through the appropriate use of adjective, noun and adverb clauses.
6. Use conditionals and the subjunctive.
7. Use direct and indirect speech.
8. Construct sentences using coordination, subordination and transitions (conjunctive adverbs).