Course Description: Students continue the study of grammatical structures required for quality oral and written academic communication. They develop skills in understanding form, meaning and usage of complex grammatical structures including gerunds and infinitives, conditionals and complex sentences with noun, adjective and adverb clauses. Students focus on Standard English grammar usage for academic purposes. Open only to non-native speakers This course carries institutional credit but will not transfer and will not be used to meet degree requirements. Prerequisite: ESOL 0393 or Placement by testing. 3201085712
Learning Outcomes Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Use verb tenses and voice with proficiency, including discriminating between the uses of the past perfect, past progressive, past perfect progressive.
2. Use simple, compound, and complex sentences structures including phrases and adjective, noun, and adverb clauses with proficiency at the high intermediate level.
3. Use parts of speech (nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, interjections, conjunctions) and determiners (quantifiers, articles, demonstratives, possessives) appropriately and with proficiency at the high intermediate level.
4. Use appropriate word choice, word form, and word order with proficiency.
5. Use modals in present, past, and progressive tenses and passive voice.
6. Identify and use verbals: participles, gerunds and infinitives.