ESOL Grammar 5
ESOL 0395 / ENGLC 3000801 ESOL Grammar V
Course Description: This course is designed to increase students’ knowledge and usage of advanced English grammar, to improve grammatical accuracy in writing and to develop strong editing skills. Theme-based grammatical presentation, inductive exercises and common errors related to target structures are presented using authentic academic contexts. Students focus on developing Standard English grammar usage for academic purposes. Open only to non-native speakers. Prerequisite: ESOL 0394 or placement by exam.
Learning Outcomes Upon successful completion of this course, students will:
1. Use verb tenses and voice with proficiency.
2. Use simple, compound, and complex sentences structures including phrases and clauses with proficiency.
3. Use parts of speech (nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, interjections, conjunctions) and determiners (quantifiers, articles, demonstratives, possessives) appropriately and with proficiency.
4. Use appropriate word choice, word form, and word order with proficiency.
5. Recognize and edit for syntactical errors such as subject-verb agreement, pronoun reference, parallel structure, and tense shifts.