F1 Visa International Student Insurance
General Information Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
Lone Star College (LSC) requires that all F-1 visa international students, with a Lone Star College (LSC) issued I-20, maintain health insurance coverage as a condition of enrollment. F1 visa international students have the following options to fulfill this requirement:
- Purchase the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) managed and administered, for the Lone Star College, by Academic Health Plans (AHP); or
- Request a waiver if you have an alternative health insurance plan that meets the following LSCS waiver criteria:
- Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States or certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and covered under a health plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, coverage may be purchased from Academic HealthPlans to supplement the provided health plan; or
- Student is enrolled in an employer-provided group health plan that is compliant with the ACA. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, coverage may be purchased from Academic HealthPlans to supplement the employer provided health plan.
- Medical Insurance Requirement Exemption. The following groups are exempt from purchasing the insurance, but must provide supporting documentation:
2017 - 2018 Enrollment Dates Student Health Insurance Plan
|Open Enrollment Begins:||April 1, 2017|
|Open Enrollment Ends:||October 2, 2017|
|Coverage Dates:||August 10, 2017 December 31, 2017|
|Open Enrollment Begins:||November 1, 2017|
|Open Enrollment Ends:||January 31, 2018|
|Coverage Dates:||January 1, 2018 August 9, 2018|
|Open Enrollment Begins:||February 5, 2018|
|Open Enrollment Ends:||June 5, 2018|
|Coverage Dates:||June 1, 2018 August 9, 2018|
|Summer 2017:||April 3, 2017 - April 28, 2017|
|Fall 2017:||April 1, 2017 October 2, 2017|
|Spring/Summer 2018:||November 1, 2017 January 31, 2018|
|Summer 2018:||April 1, 2018 June 5, 2018|
- 2016-2017 F1 Visa Orientation Presentation
- F-1 Insurance Premium Adjustment Request Form
What documentation is required to request a waiver?
- Copy of the front and back of your current insurance ID card with student name;
- Alternative Health Insurance Plan Benefit Summary (including exclusions);
- Proof of Medical Evacuation and Repatriation coverage (if needed, you may purchase this coverage through AHP);
- Lone Star College Student ID number available.
Once your waiver is submitted and valid proof of documentation is received by AHP, you will be notified via email within 5-7 business days of the status of your waiver request.
Voluntary Enrollment for F1 Visa Student Dependents
Dependent enrollment must take place at the time of student enrollment, with the exception of newborn or adopted children. Dependent coverage is available only if the student is also insured. Academic Health Plans (AHP) provides program management and administrative services for insured student dependents.
For questions or additional information about the health insurance plan, please call Academic Health Plans at 855.825.3980 (Toll Free).