Adult Education and Literacy
What is Adult Basic Education?
Adult Basic Education offers Basic English as a Second Language, English Literacy & Civics classes and GED®preparation at several locations in the Lone Star College Adult Basic Education service area.
The programs are designed for native and non-native speakers who want to improve their language skills and gain the core skills they need to obtain a GED®.
Classes are available for free on a first come, first served basis.
What is the General Education Development (GED®) Program?
The GED® program offers adults without a high school diploma an opportunity to complete their high school education. The classes improve basic education skills to prepare students for the official GED® test. Students can learn about different career pathways available to them as they prepare for the GED® test and workforce skills. Orientation and assessment for appropriate class placement are required.
What is the English as a Second Language (ESL) Program?
The ESL program provides free basic courses for adult students whose first language is not English. Classes are available for beginning students with limited reading and writing ability, as well as more advanced students. Orientation and assessment for appropriate class placement are required.
What is the English Literacy Civics (El Civics) Program?
The EL Civics program incorporates English literacy and Civics education services for immigrants and other limited-English-speaking populations. Orientation and assessment for appropriate class placement are required.
What is the Transitions Math and Reading and Writing (Bridge) Program?
Para informacion en espanol, haga click en esta pagina.
How do I enroll?
For more information, go to LoneStar.edu/Adult-Education or call 281.260.3576.
Classes are available at various locations and times, including mornings, evenings, and Saturdays (at some locations). Please click here for the orientation and testing schedule for Fall 2015.
To enroll online, please go to Registration and click on "Search & Register for Non-Credit CE Classes" in the second right hand box.
FALL GED®Prep, ESL, and EL Civics Classes
Fall Classes are scheduled to open in September 2015.
Eligibility & Requirements
- All students must present a copy of a valid photo ID at the time of testing
- All students who receive government aid must provide a copy of their award letter (TANF)
- 16 year olds must have a court order and a copy of a valid photo ID
- 17 years with parental permission form, an official withdrawal form from school, and a copy of a valid photo ID
- Must live in Lone Star College Adult Education and Literacy Program Service Area, which encompasses the Harris county, Montgomery county, and Walker County.
- Find out your service area
- All ESL/El Civics students must take the BEST Plus test
- All GED Prep/Transitions students must take the TABE test
- No children allowed in the testing area or in classes
Adult Education and Literacy Staff
Program Testing Coordinator
Kymia S. Dozier-Kessee
Specialist- Staff Assistant
|Fall 2015 CTE & Corporate College Course Schedule Flipbook|
|Fall 2015 CTE & Corporate College Course Schedule|
|Search & Register for Classes|
|View Campus and |
CE Contact Information
9191 Barker Cypress Road, Cypress, TX 77433
20000 Kingwood Drive, Kingwood, TX 77339
3200 College Park Drive Conroe, Texas 77384
2700 W.W. Thorne Drive Houston, Texas 77073
30555 Tomball Parkway, Tomball, TX 77375
20515 State Highway 249, Houston, TX 77070