Doing Business with Us
LSCS Purchasing strives to conduct Procurement processes in an ethical and fair manner providing equal opportunity to all prospective vendors.
We award contracts through the formal competitive process (Bids), through the quote process or through the utilization of purchasing cooperative contracts.
The procurement system in the People Soft ERP (iStar) is based on categories (commodities) determined for each type of goods or services that LSCS procures. Each Commodity Manager is assigned a number of categories and they are the main contact in purchasing for requestors and users for their assigned commodities.
Suppliers who wish to do business with the college must first register in iStar.
Once a Supplier has registered in iStar, and a bid opportunity arises, an email is sent automatically to the Supplier based on their commodity registration.
Bids and informal quotes are processed electronically in the People Soft ERP (iStar).
Our Purchasing Process
The traditional steps involved in a purchase include:
- Identify a need to buy goods or services
- Verify budget is available
- The purchasing method is determined by the value of the purchase (dollar thresholds)
- Requestors/approvers process an electronic requisition or a contract in the iStar System
- The transaction is electronically routed to the assigned Commodity Manager
- The Commodity Manager reviews the information and issues a Purchase order to the Supplier
- The goods or services are received by the requestor
- Invoices are sent to the Accounts Payable Department and paid upon verification
- Purchasing discrepancies are resolved by the Commodity Manager, the Supplier and our requestors
Purchasing Policies and Procedures
LSCS utilizes the Procurement Card (P-Card) Program to conduct small dollar transactions (under $2,500) and for travel and expenses, as identified in the P Card procedure.
P-Cards are issued to requestors, upon receipt of the employee’s supervisor’s approval.
Requestors may order goods utilizing a P- Card and pay for goods upon ordering. Employees who utilize the P – Card process are also required to submit a reconciliation of P- Card charges, in order for those charges to become expenses in the appropriate budget. It is important to do this in a timely fashion in order to provide requestors updated and accurate budget information.
Examples of items that cannot be purchased with a P-Card include: personal expenses such as fuel, alcoholic beverages, ATM cash or personal gifts, toner cartridges, Staples/VWR purchases, services.
In addition, purchases of software/hardware require prior approval from OTS.
Approved Purchasing Cooperatives
In addition to our competitively bid contracts, we also utilize vendor contracts that have been awarded through approved purchasing cooperatives. When procuring goods or services using a purchasing cooperative contract, request that the vendor reference the applicable contract on their quote and that the provisions of the contract are included.
- TCPN - The Cooperative Purchasing Network
- Harris County Department of Education
- TPASS (State Purchasing)
- TXMAS (these are Contracts from the GSA Federal Schedules)
- US Communities Government Purchasing Alliance
- HGAC – Houston Galveston Area Council
- Texas Department of Information Resources (DIR)
- Purchasing Solutions Alliance
- Educational & Institutional Purchasing Cooperative (Nat'l Assoc of Educational Procurment)
- Southeast Texas Purchasing Organization
- UT System Supply Chain Alliance
- Choice Partners
- Texas Association of Community Colleges
- National Joint Powers Alliance (NJPA)
- National Cooperative Purchasing Alliance (NCPA)
|iStar Registration & Bid Submittal Guide|
At a Glance
|Purchase Order Terms & Conditions|
|iStar Vendor Portal|
|William Dodd, C.P.M.
Executive Director of Procurement
|Cynthia Bright, CTPM
Sr. Manager -Purchasing
|Michelle Allen, CTPM
|Kim Burnaman, CTPM
|Christina Thibodaux, CTPM
|Christine Campos, CTPM
|Donna Cottrell, CTPM