ESOL Oral Communication 2
ESOL 0382 / ENGLC 3008201 ESOL Oral Communication II
Course Description: In this course English-language students increase proficiency in the spoken language necessary for basic personal, academic, and professional communication. Students communicate with a growing degree of fluency, using newly acquired vocabulary with some degree of accuracy, and master basic language functions. Students acquire and practice strategies for comprehending statements and short spoken passages. This course carries institutional credit but will not transfer and may not be used to meet degree requirements. Prerequisite: ESOL 0381 or placement by exam.
Learning Outcomes Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Respond to spoken conversations and short oral texts that use familiar vocabulary in new contexts.
2. Ask and respond to simple questions using basic question and statement intonation patterns.
3. Express possibility and necessity, give instructions, make requests, ask for clarification, and discuss plans.
4. Use level-appropriate grammar, pronunciation, reductions, and contractions.
5. Give a short oral presentation on a familiar topic.