ESOL Reading 1
ESOL 0361 / ENGLC 3006101 ESOL Reading I
Course Description: In this course beginning English-language students develop basic reading and vocabulary skills. Materials are vocabulary-controlled and based on concrete topics. Students practice reading and comprehending simple short stories and articles, writing related sentences, and developing basic library skills. Focus is on literal comprehension and developing a personally relevant vocabulary base. Students who enroll in this course should have basic literacy skills in their native language and be familiar with Roman script. This course carries institutional credit but will not transfer and may not be used to meet degree requirements. Prerequisite: Placement by exam.
Learning Outcomes Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Identify the stated main idea of a short passage on a familiar topic.
2. Distinguish between general ideas and specific information
3. Extract basic information from simple illustrations such as graphs and charts.
4. Determine the meaning of unfamiliar vocabulary from context.
5. Use a monolingual ESOL learner’s or picture dictionary to develop basic dictionary skills and build basic vocabulary.