Policies for Faculty Lab Users
• During scheduled Instructed Lab, instructors should be present at all times to answer questions from students. Instructor absernces during class visits that occur during a time when the instructor is being paid to teach a class will be communicated to the chair and/or dean. Do not SEND students to the language labs during class time, instead, accompany them and remain with them until your class visit is over.
• Instructors must be in possession of a class roster with student ID numbers for all language lab visits.
• Instructed Lab may only be reserved for credit & CE ASL/ITP, ESOL & world language classes.
• Lab staff do not sign instructor-made handouts to confirm student visits to the language labs: please check your email for detailed lab reports.
• Please be so kind as to provide at least 24 hours notice for any cancellations in order to free up times to that would otherwise be considered unavailable to your colleagues.
• Instructors are to provide students with technology instructions to complete any Open Lab assignments given.
• Instructors are asked to encourage students to visit the labs as often as possible, informing them of our location, open lab hours, software, and policies.
• To communicate lab reservations, please use the online form.
• Shortly after communicating your request(s), you will be sent a confirmation notifying you of all reserved dates and times, including any conflicts with current lab scheduling. Please note that confirmations for reservations are sent to Lone Star College System e-mail addresses ONLY. No exceptions. We use the features of Outlook (including the 'accept' or 'decline' buttons, and outside e-mail services don't always recognize these special portions of your message). For more information on how to handle Outlook invitations (including accepting them and dismissing subsequent reminders), see the help features in Outlook or attend an LSCS training session on using email (these are occasionally offered by the Teaching & Learning Center).
• Individual training on laboratory equipment (including the Sony systems) is available by reservation with the Language Labs staff, . While such meetings with the labs manager will allow you to make better use of the language labs, they are by no means a substitute for lab orientations and Sony Virtuoso trainings, nor do they replace registration in The Learning Network & attendance at presenter-led sessions.
• A variety of training sessions are offered through The Learning Network. The Learning Network is the preferred means of registering for trainings.
• Please notify the labs manager of any additional hardware or software needs you may have, and these needs will be considered in the next budget year's planning.
• Please send the labs manager any language-learning related web links you want bookmarked or included on the lab web page, as it is a touchstone resource for all language learning at Lone Star College–CyFair.
• Instructors are VERY STRONGLY encouraged to attend the faculty lab introduction and the training session on the Sony equipment once a year. Consult The Learning Network or the 'CALL Training' section of this page for upcoming training opportunities.
• When requesting lab introductions for class visits, please limit your requests to language related tasks that can be carried out using the software and equipment unique to the language labs. For assistance with general instructional technology (for example, e-mail access, Excel formatting, LSC-Online usernames and passwords, Colleague, etc.), please visit the LSC-CF OTS Service Desk (TECH-120, 281.290.3948) or the LSC-CF TLC (LRNC-208, 281.290.3911).