Math 1350 Mathematics for Teachers I Information
LSC-CyFair Math Department
This course is intended to build or reinforce a foundation in fundamental mathematics concepts and skills. It includes the conceptual development of the following: sets, functions, numeration systems, number theory, and properties of the various number systems with an emphasis on problem solving and critical thinking.
Course Learning Outcomes
The student will:
• Explain and model the arithmetic operations for whole numbers and integers.
• Explain and model computations with fractions, decimals, ratios and percentages.
• Describe and demonstrate how factors, multiples, and prime numbers are used to solve problems.
• Apply problem solving skills to numerical applications.
• Represent and describe relationships among sets using the appropriate mathematical terminology and notation.
• Compare and contrast structures of numeration systems.
Contact Hour Information
Credit Hours: 3
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
External Hours: 0
Total Contact Hours: 48
MATH 1314 OR placement by testing;
College level readiness in reading and writing
Textbook: Billstein, Libeskind, Lott; A Problem Solving Approach to Math for Elementary Teachers, 12th ed.; Pearson
Required: Students must buy an access code to MyMathLab, an online course management system which includes a complete eBook; students will first need a Course ID provided by the instructor in order to register; online purchase of MyMathLab access at www.mymathlab.com; hard copies of access codes available with ISBN: 9780321199911
Hardbound text (optional), ISBN: 9780321987297
Hardbound text + free MyMathLab access, ISBN: 9780321990594
Graphing calculators may be required for some assignments/assessments at the discretion of the instructor. TI 83, TI 84 or TI 86 series calculators recommended.
Calculators capable of symbolic manipulation will not be allowed on tests. Examples include, but are not limited to, TI 89, TI 92, and Nspire CAS models and HP 48 models.
Neither cell phones nor PDA’s can be used as calculators. Calculators may be cleared before tests.