Math 1351 Foundations of Mathematics II Information
LSC-CyFair Math Department
This is designed specifically for students who seek elementary and middle school teacher certification. Topics include concepts of geometry, probability, and statistics, as well as applications
of the algebraic properties of real numbers to concepts of measurement with an emphasis on problem solving and critical thinking.
Course Learning Outcomes
The student will:
• Explore the geometric attributes of physical objects in order to classify and to form definitions.
• Analyze spatial characteristics such as direction, orientation, and perspective.
• Connect geometric ideas to numbers and measurement.
• Use geometric models to solve problems.
• Explore and understand measurement and estimation.
• Analyze data and statistics.
• Use probability with simple and complex experiments.
• Understand surface area and volume through discovery.
Contact Hour Information
Credit Hours: 3
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
External Hours: 0
Total Contact Hours: 48
MATH 1314 OR placement by testing;
College level readiness in reading and writing
Textbook: Billstein, Libeskind, Lott; A Problem Solving Approach to Math for Elementary Teachers, 12th ed.; Pearson
Required: Students must buy an access code to MyMathLab, an online course management system which includes a complete eBook; students will first need a Course ID provided by the instructor in order to register; online purchase of MyMathLab access at www.mymathlab.com; hard copies of access codes available with ISBN: 9780321199911
Hardbound text (optional), ISBN: 9780321987297
Hardbound text + free MyMathLab access, ISBN: 9780321990594
Graphing calculators may be required for some assignments/assessments at the discretion of the instructor. TI 83, TI 84 or TI 86 series calculators recommended.
Calculators capable of symbolic manipulation will not be allowed on tests. Examples include, but are not limited to, TI 89, TI 92, and Nspire CAS models and HP 48 models.
Neither cell phones nor PDA’s can be used as calculators. Calculators may be cleared before tests.
14.5 Volume, Mass and Temperature