Math 2318 Linear Algebra Information
LSC-CyFair Math Department
Matrices and linear systems, determinants, vector spaces, linear independence, basis and dimension, change of basis, linear transformations,similarity, inner product spaces, eigenvalues and
eigenvectors, and diagonalization. Applications of these concepts will also be considered.
Course Learning Outcomes
The student will:
• Be able to solve systems of linear equations using multiple methods, including Gaussian elimination and matrix inversion.
• Be able to carry out matrix operations, including inverses and determinants.
• Demonstrate understanding of the concepts of vector space and subspace.
• Demonstrate understanding of linear independence, span, and basis.
• Be able to determine eigenvalues and eigenvectors and solve problems involving eigenvalues.
• Apply principles of matrix algebra to linear transformations.
• Demonstrate application of inner products and associated norms.
• Construct proofs using definitions and basic theorems.
Contact Hour Information
Credit Hours: 3
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
External Hours: 0
Total Contact Hours: 48
College level readiness in reading and writing
Textbook for Online Classes:
Lay, Lay, McDonald; Linear Algebra and its Applications, 5th ed.; Pearson
ISBN Number for Required MyMathLab Access: 9780321199911
Optional Hard Copy of Text: 9780321982612
Optional Hard Copy of Text with MyMathLab Access: 9780134022697
Graphing Calculator required. TI 83, TI 84 or TI 86 series calculators recommended.
Calculators capable of symbolic manipulation will not be allowed on tests. Examples include, but are not limited to, TI 89, TI 92, and Nspire CAS models and HP 48 models.
Neither cell phones nor PDA’s can be used as calculators. Calculators may be cleared before tests.