Your financial aid file must be processed and you must be eligible for financial aid to receive book advance funds. Please be aware that book advances are only for books and supplies.
A student of this institution is not under any obligation to purchase a textbook from a Lone Star College System affiliated bookstore. The same textbook may also be available from an independent retailer, including an online retailer.
Students may purchase books in the bookstore January 6-January 22, 2014. Students may submit requests to purchase books off campus December 6-January 2, 2014; those funds will disburse to student accounts January 6-January 22, 2014.
Book Advance Requirements
Student must have been awarded, and accepted, financial aid in the form of scholarships, grants, or loans for the term for which books are being purchased.
- Student must have a final class schedule. Any changes to the student's schedule after receiving the book advance will be the student's responsibility.
- Student must have a credit balance of at least $25.00 in the student account.
- Recipients will be given up to a maximum of $1000 if eligible.
- Book advances will be issued no earlier than ten business days prior to the first day of class.
- Tuition and fees will be paid first from the student's eligible financial aid funds and the remaining aid will be applied to book advances.
To obtain Financial Aid Book Advance funds for use at a LSCS campus bookstore:
Student must complete and sign the "Request for Book Advance Disbursement Using LSCS Affiliated Campus Bookstore" form.
- An electronic credit will show on the student financial aid account which will enable student to purchase books at the campus bookstore.
- Students will only be able to purchase books and supplies with the book advance.
- There will be no cash refunds made at the campus bookstore with book advance funds.
- Any unused book advance dollars will be credited back to the student's account.
- After crediting the student's tuition and fees and deducting the book advance funds used, students will then receive any remaining financial aid funds during the refund process on, or after, the 12th day of class via automatic bank deposit, or by mailed check.
To obtain Financial Aid Book Advance funds for use at a non-LSCS affiliated, non-campus bookstore:
Student must complete and sign the "Request for Book Advance Disbursement Using Non-LSCS Affiliated Off-Campus Bookstore" form
- Student must submit the signed form to their campus financial aid office.
- Students must login to myLoneStar and select whether to receive the book advance funds via automatic bank deposit, the preferred and fastest method, or by check. Checks will be sent by US First Class mail to the student's address of record.
- Students will then be able to go to any book or online retailer to purchase books and supplies the 1st day of class.
- After crediting the student's tuition and fees and deducting the book advance funds used, students will then receive any remaining financial aid funds during the refund process on or after the 12th day of class via automatic bank deposit, or by mailed check.
Book Advance Best Practices
- Check your financial aid and e-mail accounts frequently to ensure that you do not miss important information.
- Schedule changes will effect financial aid and book advance eligibility. Visit with a financial aid advisor before purchasing books to make sure that your award is correct.
- Spend conservatively; If you spend more than you are eligible to receive, you will owe money back.
Financial Aid Contact Center
Ask a Financial Aid Question
Mon-Fri: 7:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.