New Book Advance Process
Off-campus book advances allow you to receive a portion of your anticipated financial aid to purchase textbooks and supplies from businesses outside of our contracted vendor, Barnes & Noble. Once you have submitted an off campus request, you cannot make any changes until the following semester.
On-campus book advances allow you to receive a portion of your anticipated financial aid to purchase textbooks and supplies with our contracted vendor, Barnes & Noble. You DO NOT need to do anything to receive an on campus book advance. Once you have an accepted financial aid award and meet all of the Book Advance requirements below, you will be able to purchase books at the book- store within 48hrs.
Students who are enrolled in a mini-mester or late start are not eligible for a book advance.
Steps to Submit an Off Campus Book Advance Request
- Login to your myLoneStar account
- Under the Financial Aid tab click Off Campus Book Advance Request Form
- After completing the request form you will receive a confirmation email.
Book Advance Dates
|Off Campus Request||December 19 - January 3|
|On Campus||Purchase books January 8-25|
What Are Book Advances?
Book Advances allow you to use a portion of your anticipated financial aid to purchase textbooks and supplies from any business. It is not free or additional funds. This book advance is for educational expenses only.
Book Advance Requirements
Student must have been awarded, and accepted, financial aid in the form of scholarships, grants, or loans for the term for which books are being purchased.
- Student must have a final class schedule. Any changes to the student's schedule after receiving the book advance will be the student's responsibility.
- Student must have a credit balance of at least $25.00 in the student account.
- Recipients will be given up to a maximum of $1000 if eligible.
- Book advances will be issued no earlier than ten business days prior to the first day of class.
- Tuition and fees will be paid first from the student's eligible financial aid funds and the remaining aid will be applied to book advances.
Book Advance Best Practices
- Check your financial aid and e-mail accounts frequently to ensure that you do not miss important information.
- Schedule changes will effect financial aid and book advance eligibility. Visit with a financial aid advisor before purchasing books to make sure that your award is correct.
- Spend conservatively; If you spend more than you are eligible to receive, you will owe money back.
Financial Aid Contact Center
Mon-Thu: 7:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Fri: 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.