Additional Diagnostic Medical Sonography/Echocardiography Program Requirements
Effective Fall 2012 for all Health Occupations Programs, Math placement scores on Compass, ASSET, Accuplacer, and THEA will be valid for three (3) years.
- Background Check: to be completed after acceptance. See additional information below.
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider CPR
- Program Prerequisites: all courses must be completed prior to submission of application
- Chest X-Ray: may be required based on results of TB Test (refer to Immunization Checklist for details)
- Bacterial Meningitis vaccination
- Malpractice/Liability Insurance: fee is included in tuition once accepted
- PSB Test
- TB Test: refer to Immunization Checklist
- Hepatitis B: refer to Immunization Checklist
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) positive titer: refer to Immunization Checklist
- Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis): refer to Immunization Checklist
- Flu Vaccine: must be completed in the Fall after acceptance
- Varicella positive titer or two vaccines: refer to Immunization Checklist
- Health Insurance
- Information Session
- Copy of a valid TX Identification card or driver’s license
Our programs are accredited through the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP, 1361 Park St. Clearwater, FL 33756; 727.210.2350; http://www.caahep.org/) upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS, 6021 University Boulevard, Suite 500, Ellicott City, MD 21043; 443-973-3251; http://www.jrcdms.org/). Lone Star College-CyFair, as part of Lone Star College, is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). The Diagnostic Medical Sonography Programs have been approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB).
Students must complete all college level reading, writing, and math appropriate developmental coursework or retake the section of ASSET, ACCUPLACER, COMPASS, or THEA and score high enough to place into college-level course. Students must complete ENGL 1301, MATH 1314, PHYS 1410, BIOL 2404 prior to submission of an application for the diagnostic medical sonography programs. RADR 1313 and RADR 2305 may be substituted for the PHYS course requirement.
Students who currently hold an ARRT certification or a two-year degree in a patient care health program are eligible for admission to the certificate program. Students who do not hold an ARRT certification or a two-year degree in a patient care health program would apply for the AAS in DMS.
Accepted students are required to successfully pass a background check and may also be required to successfully pass a drug screening. Clinical regulations also require that students complete various immunizations and/or titers, including the Hepatitis B immunization series that may take up to 6 months to complete. For all accepted students, all clinical requirements must be completed by due date set by Program.
Prospective students are required to attend an information session. See link below for dates, times, and locations.
Humanities Course Credit for AAS Degree programs: New Humanities/Fine Arts Requirement starting Fall 2015
Effective Fall, 2015 all students applying to an AAS health occupation program must complete an approved Humanities/Fine Arts course from the new core as listed in the 2014-2015 catalog. See approved 2014-2015 humanities course requirement list.
Students applying to an AAS health occupation program before Fall, 2015 may fulfill the Humanities/Fine Arts requirement from either the 2013-2014 and the 2014-2015 catalogs. See approved 2013-2014 humanities course requirement list.
Some AAS health occupation programs have a designated Humanities/Fine Arts course for their admission requirement. Please check the program requirements on their websites.
Submit Official Transcripts
Students who have attended class at ANY college, university or other institution of higher education must submit official transcripts to the Student Services Department at Lone Star College–CyFair. State law mandates that official transcripts must be submitted and evaluated by an Academic Advisor at Lone Star College–CyFair for a student’s application to the school to be considered complete. Be aware that students who submit applications to the Sonography/Echocardiography department whose transcripts have NOT been evaluated by a Lone Star College–CyFair Academic Advisor will be considered incomplete regardless of the circumstances. Students should request official transcripts as soon as possible in order to allow the necessary time to complete the evaluation of EVERY class on their transcript(s). Students are encouraged to use the Transcript Request Form to help ensure proper delivery to the Sonography/Echocardiography Department of official transcripts; but will have to contact the requested college/university regarding delivery of official transcripts to the Student Services Department.
Proceed to the LSC-CyFair Diagnostic Medical Sonography/Echocardiography Information Session page and plan ahead to attend one of the sessions posted on the website. Applicants will be given a numbered Certificate of Attendance at the end of the session. This certificate is required for applications to be considered complete. Do NOT lose this certificate!
Psychological Service Bureau (PSB) Exam
Below is the form needed to take the required PSB test. Follow these instructions:
- Print the PSB Authorization to Test Form (Available for download during the application period).
- Bring authorization form and pay the $20 testing fee to the business counter at the Barker Cypress campus.
- Present authorization form and payment receipt to Assessment Center proctor.
- Ensure that you take the "Diagnostic Medical Sonographer/Echocardiography" test. Applications submitted with the incorrect test will NOT be considered complete. It is the student's sole responsibility to ensure the correct test is taken; otherwise, the student will need to pay an additional $20 testing fee to have their test scored correctly.
- All PSB tests need to be completed.
- The Assessment Center will print the student's individual score sheet.
- The PSB test will be available to take for the 2015 application period from January 12 through June 1, 2015 and can only be taken once during this period.
For sample PSB test questions, go to http://www.psbtests.com/site/products/hoae.html
Submit Application Materials
Please print, sign and date the on-line application to include with the application packet. Applications will be accepted during Spring 2016, dates TBA.
The Sonography/Echocardiography Application Packet materials:
(These materials will be available before the next application period. Note: application requirements and packet materials are subject to changes each year.)
- Online application
- Advisor Checklist (Updated as of 2/12/15)
- Student Checklist
- Lab Observation Form (if applicable to student)
- Healthcare Experience Verification Form (Work experience, volunteer*, observation*) (if applicable to student)
- Sample Immunization Checklist
- Selection Process Worksheet
- Transcript Request Form
- Current certifications/licenses (if applicable to student)
- Information Session Certificate
- Official Transcripts - You must submit official transcripts to the admissions office.
- Psychological Service Bureau (PSB) Exam - You must have taken the PSB exam.
*Note: Volunteering and observing must have occurred within 3 years of the current application period to be considered.
Mail or Deliver Application Packets To:
Lone Star College–CyFair
9191 Barker Cypress Road, Health Science Bldg, Dean's Suite 204
Attn: Sonography Program
Cypress, TX 77433-1383
Lone Star College Policy is consistent with Texas law as to requirements and admission of any resident or non-resident student. For admission and tuition purposes, residency is defined within Texas Education Code §54.052.
In addition, LSCS will notify students prior to, but not as a condition or requirement of admission, that health care facilities will require students to have a Social Security number or a Visa as a condition of being assigned to a clinical facility. Students who are unable to complete the LSCS health program clinical skills requirement will not be able to complete the program due to a lack of clinical placement.
Additionally, LSCS will notify students that a Social Security number or a Visa may be required for a background check, and may also be required for taking the licensing examination upon completion of program requirements.