Additional Diagnostic Medical Sonography/Echocardiography Program Requirements
Effective Fall 2012 for all Health Occupations Programs, Math placement scores on Compass, ASSET, Accuplacer, and THEA will be valid for three (3) years.
- Background Check: to be completed after acceptance. See additional information below.
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider CPR: Required upon acceptance and by program deadline
- Program Prerequisites: all courses must be completed prior to submission of application - and by the end of the regular Spring semester
- Bacterial Meningitis vaccination
- Malpractice/Liability Insurance: fee is included in tuition once accepted
- PSB Test: required to be able to apply. Refer to details below
- TB Test: required upon accepatance. Chest X-Ray may be required based on results of TB Test (refer to Immunization Checklist for TB test details)
- Hepatitis B: refer to Immunization Checklist - requirement is positive titer only. Required upon acceptance and by program deadline
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) positive titer: refer to Immunization Checklist
- Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis): refer to Immunization Checklist - needs to have been received after age 18. Required upon accepatance and by program deadline
- Flu Vaccine: must be completed in the Fall after acceptance
- Varicella positive titer: refer to Immunization Checklist - requirement is positive titer only. Required upon accepatance and by program deadline
- Health Insurance Required upon accepatance and by program deadline
- Information Session: attendance at current year session is required to be able to apply. Refer to link below for details.
- Copy of a valid TX Identification card or driver’s license. Required upon accepatance and by program deadline
- Hepatitis C bloodwork (titer) screening to verify status. Refer to Immunication Checklist
The Lone Star College-CyFair Diagnostic Medical Sonography Programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP, 25400 US Highway 19 N., Suite 158, Clearwater, FL 33763; 727.210.2350; http://www.caahep.org/) upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS, 6021 University Boulevard, Suite 500, Ellicott City, MD 21043; 443-973-3251; http://www.jrcdms.org/). Lone Star College-CyFair, as part of Lone Star College, is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). The Diagnostic Medical Sonography Programs have been approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB).
Students must complete all college level reading, writing, and math appropriate developmental coursework or retake the section of ASSET, ACCUPLACER, COMPASS, or THEA and score high enough to place into college-level course. Students must complete ENGL 1301, MATH 1314, PHYS 1410, BIOL 2404 (BIOL 2404 must be within 5 years) prior to submission of an application and all with a grade of C or better for the diagnostic medical sonography programs. RADR 1313 and RADR 2305 may be substituted for the PHYS course requirement.
Accepted students are required to successfully pass a background check and are required to successfully pass a drug screening. Clinical regulations also require that students complete various immunizations and/or titers (refer to Immunization Checklist). For all accepted students, all clinical requirements must be completed by due date set by Program.
Prospective students are required to attend an information session. See link below for dates, times, and locations.
Refer to the current LSC catalog for the most current list of courses in the Creative Arts/Language, Philosophy & Culture areas that can be used towards an AAS degree.
Submit Official Transcripts
Students who have attended class at ANY college, university or institution of higher education other than Lone Star College must submit official transcripts toLone Star College. State law mandates that official transcripts must be submitted and evaluated by Lone Star College for a student’s application to the school to be considered complete. Be aware that students who submit applications to the Sonography/Echocardiography department instead of following instructions given will be considered incomplete regardless of the circumstances. Students should request official transcripts as soon as possible in order to allow the necessary time to complete the evaluation of EVERY class on their transcript(s). Students are encouraged to use the Transcript Request Form to help ensure proper delivery of official transcripts when request is made to your previous college or university.
Proceed to the LSC-CyFair Diagnostic Medical Sonography/Echocardiography Information Session page and plan ahead to attend one of the sessions posted on the website. Applicants will be given a numbered Certificate of Attendance at the end of the session. This certificate is required for applications to be considered complete. Do NOT lose this certificate! See updated session dates/times; please check frequently for any changes.
Psychological Service Bureau (PSB) Exam
Below is the form needed to take the required PSB test. Follow these instructions:
- Print the PSB Authorization to Test Form (Available for download during the application period).
- Bring authorization form and pay the $20 testing fee to the business counter at the Barker Cypress campus.
- Present authorization form and payment receipt to Assessment Center proctor.
- Ensure that you take the "Diagnostic Medical Sonographer/Echocardiography" test. Applications submitted with the incorrect test will NOT be considered complete. It is the student's sole responsibility to ensure the correct test is taken; otherwise, the student will need to pay an additional $20 testing fee to have their test scored correctly.
- All PSB tests need to be completed.
- The Assessment Center will print the student's individual score sheet.
- The PSB test will be available to take for the 2019 application period from January 14, 2019 through May 20, 2019 and can only be taken once during this period.
For sample PSB test questions, go to http://www.psbtests.com/test-resources/#Sample%20Questions
Submit Application Materials
2019 application dates are March 4, 2019 through May 29, 2019 (3:00 p.m. deadline) Please print, sign and date the on-line application to include with the application packet. Link access the online application will be available beginning on 03/04/19
The Sonography/Echocardiography Application Packet materials:
(These materials will be available before the next application period. Note: application requirements and packet materials are subject to changes each year.)
- Online application
- Advisor Checklist
- Student Checklist
- Application Immunization Checklist (most current form required)
- Selection Process Worksheet
- Transcript Request Form
- Copy of current certifications/licenses (if applicable)
- Certification/license Form (required for cert/license to be considered)
- Information Session Certificate from Fall 2018 or Spring 2019
- Official Transcripts - You must submit official transcripts to the admissions office.
- Psychological Service Bureau (PSB) Exam - You must have taken the PSB exam.
- PSB Authorization to Test Form
- Required Videos Form
Hand Deliver Application Packets To:
Lone Star College–CyFair
9191 Barker Cypress Road, Health Science Bldg, Dean's Suite 204
Attn: Sonography Program
Cypress, TX 77433-1383
Please Note: Lone Star College has designated these programs with labor market research and in consult with employers. These A.A.S. degree programs prepare you to take a board exam. Students in this program who may have a criminal background, please be advised that the background could keep you from being licensed. If you have a question about your background and licensure, please speak with program director. You also have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the applicable licensing agency. Consequences of Criminal Conviction, Notice of Potential Ineligibility for License
For credentialing and eligibility information, please refer to The American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) www.ardms.org &/or Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI) www.cci-online.org.
Accepted program students must meet current program clinical site background requirements to be able to participate at clinical. Eligibility for board examinations is a separate process.
Lone Star College policy is consistent with Texas law as to requirements and admission of any resident or non-resident student. For admission and tuition purposes, residency is defined within Texas Education Code §54.052. Students will be notified of any additional documentation required of the clinical partner. All students must submit all required documentation prior to the start of a clinical rotation (or externship). Students who are unable to complete the LSC health program clinical skills requirement will not be able to complete the program due to a lack of clinical placement. Additionally, LSC will notify students that a Social Security number may be required for a background check, and may also be required for taking the licensing examination upon completion of program requirements. Students with student visas may have to provide additional or alternate information.